What about Russia?

Hey, what exactly is the origin of that "In Soviet Russia, the <x> <does something to> you"?

Yakov Smirnoff is/was a standup comedian whose material was all Russian-related stuff... and that's where the "in Soviet Russia {y} {x}'s you!" comes from.

It's generally funny as a reference because it's a hilariously bad sort of eighties formula joke.

"It seems today, that all ya see, is violence and movies and sex on TV, but where are those good old fashion..."

Oh...uh...I believe Family Guy brought that joke back.

Although I can't neither read kyrillic nor speak Russian, I like www.ag.ru - great site for demos, patches and especially ingame screen captures. And yes, it's a legal site.

The only other Russian "entertainment portal" I've been looking into more than once was Wing Commander in Russia - still no clue what they're talking about, but very nice site design. I'm missing something like the biographies in the CIC - the encyclopedia is very good, but it doesn't tell the sources and doesn't have caharcter pictures. But it's just a minor gripe; sometimes I open WCiR in another window to look at a character picture I'm reading about in the CIC.

hehe, that joke was in futurama as well,

"look, the ice is so big, it crushes you! hahaha ....Yakov Smirnoff said it"

"no he didn't"

Back