What a great game!!

brajlih

Spaceman
This is really unbelivable game. Much, much better then prophecy and secret ops. You guys that crated that mod are much better at designing missions than the guys at Origin. I just finished the game with A (with fralthi) and B (without fralthi) endings. I played at veteran settings and I struggled all the way. (Some missions are really difficult...) and I have some questions.

1. Is there another possible (wining) ending (maybe with beaufort station destroyed)?
2. In the closing sequence -when that senator is comenting on wheter the Dauntless will be repaired ore abandoned-does this depends only on the mission branch (A-repaired,B-scraped) ore it depends on the damage status of the Dauntless at the game's end?
3.Is there some logic behind how many torpedos can the dauntless (ore beaufort) shots down ore is it just luck (I remember that once i shot down five torpedos and still the beaufort was destroyed and on my next try i only managed to shot down on torp and the beaufort survived)
4. Is there a way that you could make some wingmens indestructable-it's not really in accordance with game's fiction that ocelot ejects almost every time-he is like a young hot shot pilot..

Ok sorry if my english is not that good and again this mod is really GREAT JOB!!

Yeah, it's a great game. But indestructible wingmen would make the game all to easy. UE is supposed to be hard.

1. UE has 2 winning and 1 loosing endgame
2. IIRC it is only dependent on the endgame, not on the damage recieved
3. No preprogrammed number. Its not just luck either. The battle is just fought out by the engine rules. Depending on your performance you might be able to force the enemy to different attack vectors for example. Also note that also the turrets don't get repaired, so the more the Dauntless has left...
4. Could easily be done technically, but it would be bad for the game.

brajlih said:
2. In the closing sequence -when that senator is comenting on wheter the Dauntless will be repaired ore abandoned-does this depends only on the mission branch (A-repaired,B-scraped) ore it depends on the damage status of the Dauntless at the game's end?
Yeah, it only depends on the mission branch. Back in those days, I didn't put that much thought into the actual logic of the endings (which is why capturing or not capturing the Fralthi makes such a huge difference during the battle in the Tyr System... huh? :p ). It was simply a rough attempt to imitate WC1's "do well, Confed wins, do badly, Confed loses" branching system.

4. Is there a way that you could make some wingmens indestructable-it's not really in accordance with game's fiction that ocelot ejects almost every time-he is like a young hot shot pilot.
Nobody ever complains about Maniac ejecting every mission :).

Actually i was always very pissed of when Maniac ejected. Specially in the WC4 where I was flying a lot of missions with him as a wingman. But i got my revenge when he wanted to fight with Dekker- without thinking for a second i choose -"This i got to see"-option. I think that that was the best scene of all wc games-movies... A saved a game before that scene and then just reloaded a couple of times. It was a PAYBACK for all of this: I gotta eject, i think i hear my mom calling....

wow people are still finding UE for the first time?
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, tbh we've reached the point where all we can see in it are the flaws.

But I always liked how maniac ejected, made me chuckle.

Quarto said:
Nobody ever complains about Maniac ejecting every mission :).

Better check that. I just complained about it a month ago. It's pretty sad too:

1. See enemy
2. Maniac shits himself and ejects
3. Engage

I much prefer flying with Hawk. :)

Personallly i dont think that some indestructable wingmen would (totaly) ruin the game. Maybe this could somehow be linked to the difficulty level of the game (rookie-all wingmen indestructable,veteran some (those who are described in games fiction as really good) ace-and higher none indestructable. Of course that would not apply to those pilost that are supposed to die.
If I remember correctly in x-wing alliance were some wingmen indestructable and that certanly did not make the game to easy.

I'm saying (writing?) this things because i enyoj reading through the games fiction and if all of my wingmens eject on a previous mission and then the fiction decribes how Daniels admires the skills of some of the pilots just doesn't sound right. Especcially because the pre-programmed deaths of some pilots are described with a lot of text and emotions. But if some wingmen ejects (randomally) just in front of the orca destroyer and i run away in the second when the auto light turns on he is just happy and alive back on the dauntless when i land and (according to fiction)i see in him someone like myself at younger age...

Please dont think that i just like to critisize. I think that EU is the best WC game so far. But when i saw what amazing thing have you guys did with the prophecy game engine i am sure that some fiction-indestructable wingmen link (maybe at lower difficulty) would make this GREAT game a little bit better ...

brajlih said:
Maybe this could somehow be linked to the difficulty level of the game (rookie-all wingmen indestructable,veteran some (those who are described in games fiction as really good) ace-and higher none indestructable.

This is unfortunately something that currently is impossible to do. We cannot modify mission contents based on the difficulty level selected.

I agree! It is really nerve racking. Those missions that you have to defend the Dauntless are hard. They take numerous tries.

The Dauntless? No, not really. It might get tough if you allowed the Dauntless to get defanged or even take heavy damage in an earlier mission. But generally Dauntless really isn't the ship to worry about in UE IMHO.

cff said:
The Dauntless? No, not really. It might get tough if you allowed the Dauntless to get defanged or even take heavy damage in an earlier mission. But generally Dauntless really isn't the ship to worry about in UE IMHO.

I defend the Dauntless to my death.

Note: The Dauntless has five seperate engine parts, each one needs a seperate torpedo... at least one good thing about this piece of s... crap metal.

Lazy Panda said:
Note: The Dauntless has five seperate engine parts, each one needs a seperate torpedo... at least one good thing about this piece of s... crap metal.

The outer engines are linked two and two. Three torpedos is sufficent...

Just replayed through it and I actually am more proud of it than I was.

Theres LOTS of niggles but overall I think we got the feel right which in the end is the most important thing (but I really am embarassed about some of the things I let slip by, one in particular in one of my own missions).

I found UE to be very professionally done. What, may I ask, did you miss? I'd like to hear some of the bloopers, so I can go back and see if I can find them! :)

Back