Weird 50's/Halloween music help

Jibbo

Rear Admiral
Hey everyone,

I need to put together a CD for some kids at a drop-in centre for their haunted house next weekend. They want it to contain mostly weird 50's tunes with strange lyrics.

Obviously, there's Monster Mash and Purple People Eater, but I'm at a loss trying to think of other tunes. Any suggestions? It doesn't necessarily have to be Halloween/Monster based; anything with odd-ball lyrics will do that sounds like it should belong in a "haunted department store".

I've expanded my selection to include The Doors- People are Strange, B-52's - Rock Lobster, The Dr Evil Theme, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and a bunch of themes from the X-files, Dr Who, Chost Busters, The Addam's Family, etc, but I'm still about 20 minutes short of a full CD.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

How about something from Danny Elfman's "Mars Attacks!". You gotta have that theremine action going on.

I know lots of songs with creepy lyrics, but the musical genre might not fit with the rest of the tracks. Here's some off the top of my head. Most of these will probably offend at least one person.

Barry Maguire - Eve of destruction
The Avalanches - Frontier psychiatrist
Army of Lovers - Crucified
The Smiths - Girlfriend in a coma
Brainbug - Nightmare (instrumental)
Albert Hammond - I don't wanna die in an air disaster
Weird Al Yankovich - Living in the fridge
Weird Al Yankovich - Cats in the kettle

In the late 90s DJ Dado did a remix of the X-Files theme that runs for a good three minutes.

I've actually got a few good ones from The Nightmare Before Christmas... I'll look up Mars Attacks though.

Kris, those lyrics certainly are weird... but not quite appropriate for 6-11 year old kids :)

Jibbo said:
Kris, those lyrics certainly are weird... but not quite appropriate for 6-11 year old kids :)

What do you mean. My experience with kids tell me that 11 year olds would love it. :D

Theres always the song "Burn Victim Girl" by Corky And The Juice Pigs.

Or what about "Tubular Bells" aka the theme from the Exorcist. Or what about Goldsmith's Oscar winning score to the Omen - or its two follow-up movies?

Great green globs of greasy grimy goffer guts. Mutilated monkey's meat. Little birdy's dirty feet....

Sorry, that's the only one I can think of...

Aside from the fact that Halloween was over about 2 1/2 weeks ago! :rolleyes:

Howver, if you are still looking for tunes, how about...
'Ghost Town' by The Specials.
The song is actually about recession hitting a town in England and all the shops are closing down, but there's plenty of the whoo-woo scary Scooby-Doo type noises in there.

Back