Website update, April 3rd

Eder

Mr. Standoff
It's friday again already!
More mission progress

Having received this week another new version of the two missions Pierre was working on, it's safe to say these are finished, apart maybe from a bug or two :). That leaves two campaign missions still left to complete - one of which Quarto is currently working on. It's a pretty complex mission - I can say without revealing too much that it involves a bunch of Marine shuttles - so for once, the extra time taken is actually understandable. Anyway, hopefully he'll have that done before Easter, and then get onto the last mission. Pierre, in the meantime, has gone back into the simulator, making final adjustments in preparation for the scoreboard-enabling of the last remaining sim missions.

We've also made some small progress with voiceovers this week. There's still just under two hundred lines to be added (most of which are already recorded, and merely need to be cleaned up and filtered), but there's well over five hundred lines already accounted for. Tempest doesn't have much spare time lately, so we can expect the remaining voices to take a while yet. Still, I'm sure they'll be ready by the time the missions have all been debugged ;-).

Saturday, even. :p

But keep up the great work. It's nice to hear progress is being made, not matter how fast or slow it might appear to some.

Did you say Marine shuttles? Could it possibly involve a bunch of Hakaga too? :p

Anyway, great job. It sounds like Ep.5 is going to be a grand finale indeed (and the Battle of Terra is one of the most epic battles in the WC universe, I can't wait to see how the last mission will turn out).

One of the newer screenshots is misleading! :mad:

I took a quick look at it and was like, OH SNAP! We see the Lionheart again!?

For what it's worth, we will take all the current screenshots down and upload a bunch of new ones when Ep 5 is released. It will be a much smaller bunch than what we have now, but they will all be representative of the final version of the game (which is not the case for any of our current screenshots).

For what it's worth, we will take all the current screenshots down and upload a bunch of new ones when Ep 5 is released. It will be a much smaller bunch than what we have now, but they will all be representative of the final version of the game (which is not the case for any of our current screenshots).

Why don't you just segregate them into final product shots and shots that were made during production? Going back and looking at how the screenshots change in retail games is always pretty interesting.

I think you mean pre-Vision, Wedge? Those XWA shots? :p

We are actually going to replace the entire website as of Ep 5's release with something looks like a "final product" website instead of "work in progress" website. We won't give away half of the plot or make you click through 14 pages of outdated screenshots to find out what the game you're thinking about downloading actually looks like. This was always envisioned as a 5-chapter game that we just decided to release as separate episodes to speed up our intermediary releases, so I think it warrants a website we can just leave there for posterity until computers can no longer run the vision engine or some such.

Instead of a website that aims to keep people informed about the progress of the game, we will have one that aims to be as informative as possible about what Standoff is, and not how it came to be. The idea is that the people who might find out about Standoff for the first time in the future should be allowed to effortlessly find out what they are missing out on, and not what they would have been missing out on had they shown up years earlier. :p

I can see how witnessing the evolution of the game is interesting to those of us who have been playing since Ep 1 (just yesterday I was showing Q a comparison of our new Stiletto and our very first Stiletto model in shot2.png, hehe) but, the way I see it, all the people who could possibly be interested in that have already been here for years to see it first hand, episode after episode. These people will only visit the new website once in the first few days after release, to download something they already know everything about anyway. I might offer the old shots as a zip download for nostalgia's sake, but I just don't think it's the kind of thing that should be up in a section of the final website.

Sorry, Eder, yesh. I meant pre-Vision. XWA. I was tired. I still am.

I still think you can have your primary 'this is how great Standoff' site alongside a secondary 'this is how it came to be' section. It's not as though all of us have been here witnessing development from the beginning. And I do think it's interesting for posterity's sake. But ultimately the choice is yours as to what's best for your project.

I still think you can have your primary 'this is how great Standoff' site alongside a secondary 'this is how it came to be' section. It's not as though all of us have been here witnessing development from the beginning. And I do think it's interesting for posterity's sake. But ultimately the choice is yours as to what's best for your project.

In that case (making a whole new website), segregating the development stuff is even easier. The whole old site can just be moved to a subdirectly and linked off the polished new site. It probably won't be a whole lot of newcomers that want to go back and see it, but the people who followed the game's development for ten years are exactly the ones who will want to go back and see that old stuff every once and a while for nostalgia and history reasons.

Back