We Can Be Heroes (October 7, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
There's more creative work from Gevatter Lars - now he's put together a new Wing Commander music video! The video is scenes from Wing Commander Prophecy (DVD) set to 'Heroes' by Shinedown. Two versions are available - the first is a higher quality H.264-encoded file, which is available here (20.8 MB, AVI). If that doesn't work then you can try an ordinary WMV version here (20.8 MB, WMV).

--
Original update published on October 7, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope, h.264 still broken... (though, while h.264 can be nominally put in an AVI container, it's usually inside an mp4 one...).

though, really, if it's WMV9... they're both next-gen high-def formats (h.264 also known as AVC (MPEG4), while WMV9 is better known as VC-1). Ah well, I grabbed the WMV.

WMV is a quite good codec as I see it. The player comes with windows or you can download it for free and the encoder for WMV is also free. So why not use a free codec that has such good compression and rescaling features and at the same time should be viewable for most XP users.

The H264 codec is a bit uncommon I agree on that point.
PS: Strange yesterday the H264 link worked for me.

WVC1 should be supported by the latest VLC... that should be the fourcc for VC-1 (aka WMV9, WMV-HD). Perhaps VLC isn't recognizing the fourcc as VC-1.

H.264 is actually a common codec these days, part of the MPEG-4 spec. And what we know as DivX/XviD is also part of MPEG-4. (DivX is, I believe the implemenation of MPEG-4 Simple Profile/Advanced Simple Profile (ASP), while h.264 is MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding (AVC). Old video players will play only MPEG-4 SP/ASP video, while more advanced video players will also do MPEG-4 AVC).

h.264 is also quite common these days, though the AVI container for it is unusual, since it's really supposed to be inside the more common .mp4 container. Though, since AVI/MP4 is just a container (just like OGG), well, any format can go into any container. Just depends how smart the demultiplexer is.

Media formats are fun when you're dealing with this stuff...

Well, the common format now is DivX (MPEG-4 SP/ASP), but it's quickly moving to h.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) and WMV9 (WMV-HD, VC-1). The near future will probably be moving to h.264 mostly because it's a standard (VC-1, while standard, doesn't quite have as open a spec as h.264 - you can get lots of h.264 encoders and decoders). h.264 also scales nicely from portable players (iPods, PSPs, etc. can play it natively) to high-def content (AVC and VC-1 are used in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray).

Back