WCTO Manual

Avacar

Vice Admiral
Hey Ironduke,

looking over the new manual, I really like the new figure on page 8, it adds a lot of clarity to missiles.

Another comment that struck me: you have the 'Taking Down Missiles' section before 'Dodge This: Launching Missiles'. For logical reasons, it might be worth reordering those two.

I'd encourage everyone else to comment on the manual in this thread as we have suggestions and find points of confusion as we play through the next Scenario.

Thanks for your comment! Yes, "Taking Down Missiles" is actually in front of the missile chapter. Mainly because it belongs to firing guns in the Combat Phase. Although I understand your reasons, I think it wouldn't make much sense to put it in the "How to launch missiles" chapter of the manual, nor would it fit in the End Phase section. But I may be mistaken... Is it really too confusing?

I need/want to redo some of the older figures as well, especially since they are sometimes just too low res for printing purposes or depict obsolete rules. One of (too) many things on my to do list... ;)

Hello Ironduke,
A couple of comments, if I may. I'm reading this manual only for the second time, but there are a few things that I think could perhaps be clarified.

------------

-In the discussion on Movement, particularly in Banking, you could maintain a useful distinction between Speed and Movement Points/Remaining Movement. E.g.:

"After that, place your ship in one of the adjacent hexes to the left or right side in front of it, without changing its heading. This will reduce your speed by 1
point."

As I understand it, your speed remains the same (the craft is not decelerating), while it is your movement points that are reduced by one. Using "speed" to mean both "overall rate of travel" and "allocated movement points for this turn" allows for a bit of confusing overlap for new players.

------------

-A couple of consistency problems in Missiles:

In the Missiles table, IR Lock = 1 turn; Torpedo Lock = 2 turns. In the Torpedo description section:

"It takes three turns to lock on a capital target."

Also:

"Missiles with instant lock can be fired in the same turn in which their target was declared. If a missile lock takes two turns, it can only be launched in the following turn, as long as the target remains in the missile’s fire arc."

To make it consistent, it should probably be "It takes two turns to lock on a capital target" and "If a missile lock takes one turn, it can only be launched in the following turn."

------------

-Please clarify on HS missiles: is "behind a target" anywhere in the 180 degree arc behind it, or directly behind it?

------------

-Can the PTC be fired on the 1st and 11th turn, or on the 10th and 20th? Likewise with the Anti-Matter Gun: 1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th?

------------

My apologies if I'm listing things that are clear, but that I've simply missed.

From experience (having fired and been fired upon) the HS missiles can lock from the same rear arc that you can tail; i.e. 120 degree rear arc, not 180.

I tend to agree the lock requirements are counter intuitive at first read through, but having played, they do make sense. For the example of a Torpedo, it takes 2 full turns of the bomber declaring 'I am locking on THAT capital ship'. On the 3rd turn, they say 'I am LAUNCHING on that capital ship', however since missiles are declared during combat phase, but resolved during end-of-turn phase, the missile is essentially firing 3 turns after you initially began your lock.

As I understand it, your speed remains the same (the craft is not decelerating), while it is your movement points that are reduced by one. Using "speed" to mean both "overall rate of travel" and "allocated movement points for this turn" allows for a bit of confusing overlap for new players.
Good point! Changed it for v0.15.

A couple of consistency problems in Missiles:

In the Missiles table, IR Lock = 1 turn; Torpedo Lock = 2 turns. In the Torpedo description section:

"It takes three turns to lock on a capital target."
I coud refer to Avacar's post now, but I think there's a misunderstanding. It takes an IR missile 1 turn to lock on (lock on first turn, fire on second) and a torpedo 2 (fire on third), BUT an IR missile will hunt its target for a total of 2 turns (if it misses its target during the End Phase it was launched), while the torp stays around for a total of 3 turns. The italic "turns" # under the missile's "Speed" column represent the # of total turns the missile will stay on target, while the "Lock" column denote the required time until a target is locked.
Your interpretation shows that this might be confusing to read, though.

Please clarify on HS missiles: is "behind a target" anywhere in the 180 degree arc behind it, or directly behind it?
This one, I think, is clear: "Their fire arc covers 120° in front of the ship launching them (similar to a fighter’s aft turret)." However, I turned it around now, so it now reads that an HS missile can only be fired from within "120° of the target's rear arc." Does that make more sense to you?

Can the PTC be fired on the 1st and 11th turn, or on the 10th and 20th? Likewise with the Anti-Matter Gun: 1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th?
Whenever you fire it, you have to wait AFTER the first shot. So yes, you can fire it on the first turn. (Except a scenario would specifically tell you the opposite - but then it would mean that the gun's been already fired beforehand.)

My apologies if I'm listing things that are clear, but that I've simply missed.
Don't excuse yourself - any and all points are valid if they help me improve the manual for new players! :)

Good point! Changed it for v0.15.

This one, I think, is clear: "Their fire arc covers 120° in front of the ship launching them (similar to a fighter’s aft turret)." However, I turned it around now, so it now reads that an HS missile can only be fired from within "120° of the target's rear arc." Does that make more sense to you?

I wouldn't turn it around completely as both matter... your new Figure (which I complimented previously) shows that the launching ship must be able to target within 120.... but at the same time, it can only target a ship that is showing their rear 120... both 120's are relevant and distinct.

Thanks for the clarifications. Avacar got what I was driving at about the HS missiles, and I understand now. I agree; the 0.14 manual is clear about the firing arc (especially thanks to the diagram, as noted) but should also be clear about the "receiving" arc.

Back