WC's on XP

Can you guys give me a run down on how WC games run in XP, so far iv'e installed IV (dvd version) and it's running fine, prophecy's installer won't even open, just wants 2 send an error report back to Microsoft, has anyone else had this problem?, it that what the 2k patch helps with?
What about KS and Privateer 2????

My XP experiences so far:

Prophecy has run quite well except the music keeps skipping and repeating itself all the time. A few small hiccups in the movies as usual though. What is this Win2K patch for Prophecy people are talking about? I've never heard of it. But other than that, the game runs very well.

WC4 (CD version) and WC3 (off of KS) both suffered from an annoying delay in input commands. I'd press a key on the keyboard and it would finally happen about 1-2 seconds later. Ugh! I haven't tried WC1 or WC2 off of KS yet nor have I messed with Privateer 2 under XP either.

So far XP hasn't lived up to its compatibility hype yet as I have been unable to get any of the Mechwarrior 2 games to work and Tie Fighter won't run as it insists on having DirectX 5.2 only and nothing else.

Isn't WinXP basically the new version of Win2k? Wouldn't that naturally make EA games incompatible with it? Win2k isn't exactly known to me to be a gaming OS.

From what I heard, I thought WinXP is supposed to merge the compatibility of Win9x with the stability of WinNT. In any case, the Win2000 patch for WCP could be worth a try, especially if compatibility is still an issue in XP.

WinXP will have various compatibility modes:with winME, Win2000, and with W9x, also will have a DOS mode (like w9x).

DOS mode? Are you so sure? I was under the impression that DOS was being phased out, as well as WinME being a part of the Win9x line.

I thought there were all these threads where people were complaining that they couldn't play DOS games in WinME. And I don't have WinME, BTW, so I wouldn't know.

And you would say WinME has a DOS mode. ;)

You can´t play Priv in the DOS box of ME (like in W9X).

Isn´t HAS past and HAVE present ??.
like * I have a WC Game *
or ME still have DOS.

Eww, what have I started? I can't explain English's peculiarities - has and have apply to singular and plural cases, eg it has or they have - but somehow I know you say "ME has DOS".

Anyway, why are you telling me that Priv doesn't work in a DOS window? Reading through the threads in this forum is ample evidence of that.

You all seem to be mucking this up pretty bad, so I'll straighten a few things out.

Win95, Win98, and Win98SE had full versions of MS-DOS still running underneath the operating system. This is how you were able to restart to native MS-DOS mode on these OS's and run all of these older games just fine.

WinME does still have some DOS under it, but it is severely stripped down. The DOS under WinME runs in protected mode only. It does NOT have real mode DOS capabilities (although there is a hack to change this). This is why you can't shutdown WinME and get to a plain DOS prompt and why you can't get old DOS games to run.

WinXP, like Win2K and WinNT, has NO DOS structure underneath it at all. There is no DOS in these operating systems period. You can access a virtual command prompt that similates and acts like DOS from within Windows, but it is NOT DOS. WinXP is the replacement for both Win2K and WinME. There will never be a Win9X based system ever again. WinXP takes all of the stability and robustness of Win2K and greatly improves the compatibility with programs to near that of WinME.

Originally posted by Nogib

...WinXP takes all of the stability and robustness of Win2K and greatly improves the compatibility with programs to near that of WinME.

...assuming "near that of WinME" is anything to rejoice about
(which it most definitely AIN'T!) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Nogib
Win95, Win98, and Win98SE had full versions of MS-DOS still running underneath the operating system. This is how you were able to restart to native MS-DOS mode on these OS's and run all of these older games just fine.
"Mucking up" huh? This is very obvious to anyone who has Win95 or Win98... except that it's clearly not easy to play all old DOS games under these OS. ;)

Really? I find it to be very easy to play old DOS games in pure DOS on 95/98/98SE. I can even enable my sound card, joystick and CDROM with little conventional memory taken. Of course, for WC2, I play with the CDROM off, but that's beside the point.

Oh, I find it easy to play DOS games too. I was just referring to the reams of "Help me play Privateer in WinXX!" threads. :)

Back