WC's future

Crusader11

Spaceman
It's good to be back. I remember this place before it was the CIC...Good to see LOAF (or Bandit(LOAF) as he once called himself, anon!) and the rest are still running the place. But I'm done waxing nostalgic now.
I have something of a general question, that will probably seem idiotic to those who have been following WC (and PC gaming in general) more closely over the last year.
But what is happening w/them? Privateer 3 was a vaporware disaster if ever I've seen one, Origin's page hasn't beenn really updated since 1998 (!) and I want my Wing Commander VI! What happened to the idea of a trilogy of games surrounding the Nephilim/Star Gods/Bugs, just like the original "KS" series?
And I read on a post below that WC is being discontinued...is Origin out of its mind? Chris Roberts is going to duplicate his earlier success w/ Freelancer (or so I prophesize) and Origin is just going to give up the ghost when they had a better (cuz it was set in the WC Universe
smile.gif
) idea for a similar game (read: Priv3)?!
Oh...and while I'm venting...did anyone else find Prophecy to be a gross disappointment compared to what was promised? All the old timers: do you remember the pole they gave us on the old WC Chat Zone, and how they read our posts about the complex multiplayer options that (most of us) wanted?! And the game engine wasn't as improved as they implied it would be, and the plot's complexity didn't come close to being on par w/ WCIV...

Ok, I'm better now...But if somebody could please respond to my question about WC's future I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you've answered all your questions about WC's future. The full answers as to why are rather complex.. you might want to read up on the news archive starting with March 2000.

What makes you think Freelancer will do well? Starlancer sold literally at least ten times worse than Prophecy..

Because Freelancer will probably do what no other space sim has done before: have an online persistent universe where the player will get to do whayever he/she pleases. Priv online in another universe.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Well, I read the News Archives as you suggested. I guess it really is dead, for the time being anyway, (I was hoping that earlier statement was a misstatement).

But, as far as why Freelancer will do well...it's because Privateer 3 will not exist. Starlancer's lack of success is not a prognostication of Freelancer's potential: They are VERY different games, Starlancer basically being a WCP-type clone, whereas Freelancer should be very original from what I have read. But, being a WC chatroom and all, I'll drop this topic...

No Regret said:
Because Freelancer will probably do what no other space sim has done before: have an online persistent universe where the player will get to do whayever he/she pleases. Priv online in another universe.
Don't forget it's not a space sim. So it's not Privateer Online at all.

No Regret said:

Well, according to T. Liam McDonald, (PC Gamer), Allegiance has beat'em all to the punch with it's online MP.

I think what he was saying, is that it's all Priv3 was promised to be, but in alot better form. I mean, just some of the screenshots I've seen, it looks spectacular. Page 76 in the July PC Gamer in their then/now BS is pretty good.
The WC series was on eof the most engrossing games ever, and every space action game released today is still compared to this classic franchise
At least someone there's pretty smart

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

I refuse to play any game where the classic 3D radar system has been taken out because its too 'hard' to use.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Err, which game took out the 3D radar? Believe it or not I do know some people who find it difficult to use (not me though).

Penguin said:
Err, which game took out the 3D radar? Believe it or not I do know some people who find it difficult to use (not me though).

Well, there are times I fail to notice the red dots!
frown.gif
Blue ones are easier to notice in a dark background.

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

Back