WCPSO Luxury Cruise Ships

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Why aren't these things armed!?
Civilian transports are armed. A Free Trader transporting cow **** to a BWs farm for planting has a flak cannon to protect itself.

So why doesn't a cruise ship, filled with rich civies have a single turret on it?

I don't recal any passenger liners in the last 150 years ever being armed. I certainly don't see big guns on any modern cruise ships either. Mostly they just don't go near where there's conflict. I don't think they were anticipating being caught up in the nephilim conflict.

I don't recal any passenger liners in the last 150 years ever being armed. I certainly don't see big guns on any modern cruise ships either. Mostly they just don't go near where there's conflict. I don't think they were anticipating being caught up in the nephilim conflict.

Um... most cargo ships these days aren't armed either, haven't been since WW2. But in WC they are. With the pirates and Retros we saw in Privateer, we learn that civilian spacefaring is just as dangerous as military.

Um... most cargo ships these days aren't armed either, haven't been since WW2. But in WC they are. With the pirates and Retros we saw in Privateer, we learn that civilian spacefaring is just as dangerous as military.

Not all of them are armed. The Clarksville has no weapons as well as paper thin armor and shields.

We never see cruiser liners in Privateer, which kind of defeats this argument. Your ideal location and time for study would be WC4. Remember, that medical transport in the opening was unarmed.

We never see cruiser liners in Privateer, which kind of defeats this argument. Your ideal location and time for study would be WC4. Remember, that medical transport in the opening was unarmed.

You know, it claims it was unarmed -- but you can clearly see the turrets. :) But, yes, this is a good point... not so much because of time, but because of location. A cruise around the inner worlds is very different than transporting goods through the pirate-infested frontier (which is the same reason people today take cruises to the Caribbean and not the Somali coast...)

I don't recal any passenger liners in the last 150 years ever being armed. I certainly don't see big guns on any modern cruise ships either.

Not exactly true. Two years ago cruise ship "Seabourn Spirit" used LRAD (non-lethal sonic weapon) to fend off pirate attack near somali coast. Details here

Many cruise liners had 50 caliber machine guns they can mount to the side rails for pirate attacks, before non-lethal weapons got to be a more effective deterrent.

Many cruise liners had 50 caliber machine guns they can mount to the side rails for pirate attacks, before non-lethal weapons got to be a more effective deterrent.

Geez... sounds like modern cruise ships these days could do well being fitted with a forward and aft Phalanx CIWS turret... I'm not joking, one look at one of these things would make ANY pirate turn and run, fast.

For those who don't know...

GlobalSecurity.org

The Phalanx guns work by using a search radar and a tracking radar to follow targets that come within 1 to 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km).[24] When a target comes within this range the CIWS mount physically moves to track the target while simultaneously evaluating the target against several preset criteria to determine the next course of action. Depending on whether the target criteria are met, the Phalanx mount may automatically engage the incoming target if it is judged to be hostile in nature, or the system may recommend that the Phalanx operator engage a target.

Back