WCPEdit quick

Chernikov

Spaceman
Im looking to build a cluster-bomb type missile that takes out turrets and nothing else. So far Ive managed the effect I want targetting fighters (looks VERY cool), and one missile splitting up and converging on a target that the previous missile was locked to. (also looks cool, but is far more pointless). Do missiles simply not "acquire new target" on childobjects or are they capable of doing so and I havent found the right combination of behavior tags yet?

Originally posted by Chernikov
and one missile splitting up and converging on a target that the previous missile was locked to. (also looks cool, but is far more pointless).
Not entirely pointless, since that's exactly how the Swarmer missile works.

Do missiles simply not "acquire new target" on childobjects or are they capable of doing so and I havent found the right combination of behavior tags yet?
I don't know, since you haven't explained what exactly the problem is, just what you're trying to do. I would assume however that it's simply a matter of changing the 'lock on childobjects' behaviour tag. However, I haven't edited weapons for aaaages.

Broken down then:
Goal: to make a cluster-munition missiles (such as the tracker MIRV) that will release a shower of small missiles at a capship that destroy turrets.

Reply to Quarto about the Swarmer: Yes... we know that... but the masses are supposed to think that it is really a swarm of small missiles launched from many different locations on your ship.

Current progress:
Ability to transform the AR series into what appears to be a swarmer-type missile, requiring lock to launch then releasing a set of submunitions at close range (or long range if you edit it right). Able to create a missile using the AR series that will attack fighters and bombers (cluster variety also). Able to transform the Swarmer weapon into exactly what I want, attacking non-capitals only though.

Notes:
-when set to "attack childobjects only" regardless of other settings, unless the parent missile is an AR type and has achieved lock before launch, the ejected missiles will refuse to acquire a new target of any type regardless of proximity to capship, etc.
-Some weapons, specifically torpedos, are unable to fire without lock. Setting the "lock required" tag to off simply makes the torpedo fly like a dumbfire after launch, even though lock is needed before launch.

Hypothesis: The gamecode is written in such a way where capital ships and their components cannot be attacked with a missile that acquires new targets. Making such a missile possible may require a patch to the missile AI and/or gamecode that is currently unavailable.

Hypothesis: The gamecode is written in such a way where capital ships and their components cannot be attacked with a missile that acquires new targets. Making such a missile possible may require a patch to the missile AI and/or gamecode that is currently unavailable.
Cannot be targetted, I would agree. This seems to correlate with my own ancient research in the area of semi-guided bomblets (a modification of the mine). This doesn't prevent unguided weaponry from damaging components, of course. So basically, I think you've answered your own question - what you're trying to do isn't possible, except with a patch.

another problem you might come up with is that if you give the missile too many childs.... the game will crash because the ai also use missiles. (there are too many at one time) The sad thing about it is that when I was editing missiles it took me forever to figure that out.... oy!

Ive been aware of the 44-missile limit for quite some time (is this changable? I have an urge to try 60+ missiles onscreen at once, give the AI cluster munitions, etc)... the problem surfaces when you attempt to build a missile that can target childobjects after launch. If there was a "nearest childobject" function that would be plausible, or a "nearest capship" then "nearest childobject". Im just getting into Java and am starting to get what this would probably entail (a rewrite of the ship models or targetting system at worst... at best an added action or string of actions that may or may not wind up entailing additions to the capship files... =/.

Are you referring to the error "FastList::add() exceeded max number of entries. 44" ? This max value of 44 can be increased, this kind of limits is part of what i've been researching in WCSO lately, btw:)

Back