WCPedia: IRC Meeting #4 After Action Report

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Another week...another step closer to our final goal of the ultimate WC resource wingnuts!

We had a productive session and have determined to dedicate the next several weeks strictly to fleshing out WC1 mission entries.

LOAF will be posting the WC1 script soon so that users can start to copy and paste the relevant text into articles. This is something that the average user can readily do and we are asking you to contribute what time you can to fleshing out an article or two.

I'm also sending out a call to all Ultimate Strategy Guide owners, we need your help in transferring the text from there into WCPedia in the mission entries. We want all the WC1 mission entries to look like the Epsilon Wing entry with all the text from the game itself and from the USG. That way fans and *hopefully* future WC developers will have access to every bit of information possible.

DaveO is going to work on getting the necessary images for the mission entries and the rest of us are going to set out and create the empty articles templates for EVERY mission in WC1 in the following weeks.

Another good session and another week closer to our final goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also wanted to add that we will not be meeting next week because of the holiday.

We will return Sunday Feb 21st.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to devote a chunk of time to creating mission entries and adding in text from the Ultimate Strategy Guide.

DaveO...let me know when you have a bunch of those nav map images ready so that we can add them into the articles. Make sure you label them in a fashion so that we won't get confused which is which.

Once the WC1 script is up others can start the easy work of copying and pasting information from it into the correct mission entries.

Let's keep it up!

Status update for the day - I added USG text for all the current mission articles that were already created and got to work on the first of the Gateway mission series. I've only added some of the basic stuff for the entry (objectives, etc) and the USG text.

Tomorrow I'll work on a few more mission entries and continue to input the USG text as I go along.

To every wingnut that owns the USG I would greatly appreciate some help in entering the text from it into WCPedia. It may seem like a lot of text to type in, but in all honesty it doesn't take too long to input a mission. If we could get some people working on this while others input the other text, we'll be able to finish the WC1 mission tree in no time.

Don't be shy. We've got the hardest of the hardcore on the ChatZone here and we all want the next WC game to be as sincere to its ancestors as possible. Let's make sure we give developers and fans a resource they can be proud of for years to come.

Once the WC1 script is up others can start the easy work of copying and pasting information from it into the correct mission entries.

If it were that easy, a robot could do it. Wing Commander I's script is a lot more fluid than those of later games - so someone has to go through each mission and match the conversations with the path chosen by the Strategy Guide.

... and then you have to do things like change the variables to Blair's name/rank/callsign and put in the correct promotion/reassignment/meda/etc. conversations back into the narrative.

Also, be sure to note things that are being cut but which add something to the continuity -- like Lt. Bhutto, who appears only if Maniac happens to be dead later in the game.

I'm e-mailing you a copy of the script now.

Huh? OK, I definitely need to see the script now.... or shoot down Maniac.

Nothing too interesting. If Maniac happens to die before the "Maniac blew up a transport!" conversation, they tell the same story about "Lieutenant Bhutto".

Also wanted to add that we will not be meeting next week because of the holiday.

We will return Sunday Feb 21st.

Looking at this post, I realize I made a bit of a mistake. For some reason I thought Valentine's Day was on Sunday, when it's actually on Saturday.

If people want we can still hold a meeting Sunday I'm all for it. Post to the thread with your thoughts.

I'm running into problems using the WCNav file you mentioned during the meeting. The program does detect the files, but they come up corrupt. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome. I'm running the program from the DOS prompt and pointing it to the WC1 files.

EDIT - Never mind. I got it figured out. I'll be looking thru the files for some good stuff.

Great.

Let me know when you've collected all the Nav Maps. I'm not sure if WCNav allows you to view those (you may need to grab them from the game itself). Just make sure to label them in the same format as we are doing for the mission entries.

Example - Delta-Wing-Gateway-Nav.png

If you've figured out how to upload them yourself, you can do that and add them to the correct mission entry. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow finishing up the basic stuff for the Gateway branch.

How come ya'll alright aren't using Wedge's site? It seems to be a complete guide to the whole series already.

The WCNav can't look at files other than .Vxx. Unfortunately, it looks like the nav maps are contained within the Briefing.00x files. I'll grab them from my upcoming replay which starts on the 20th of this month.

Alright that sounds good. I had some stuff come up the past few days so haven't been able to finish off the basic Gateway stuff. I'm going to try and find some time either tomorrow or Monday to finish up that system.

How is everybody else doing? Keep up the good work.

Sorry I've been inactive lately... the thing being that my regular coursework has kept me busy, and as of last week I have to put everything I've got towards my Calculus II class just so I can pull a B or a C (Let's just say I was a real idiot on the first test). I hope to return to the project in earnest after the semester, though!

That's understandable. Even if you can only do a little here and there, it's better than nothing at all.

I've spent today getting my own schoolwork (I work on the other side of the lectern now) prepared for my classes this week, so I should be able to do a good amount of work Monday and Tuesday.

I'd really like to see more members active in this project. We really can't do this alone and with the amount of work in front of us it can seem daunting at times. In the end though, the finished product will perhaps be the crowning achievement of the CIC's membership and community. I know I've given this speech several times, but it's important to realize that we are creating an archive of information that could reap serious benefits for us in the future and also contribute to thousands of potentially enjoyable hours learning everything one can about WC.

We didn't have one this Sunday since no one vested an interest in it. We'll meet again this Sunday, 7pm.

I've got some time tonight so I'm going to crank out as many Gateway entries as I can.

Do we have any volunteers to start adding in the WC1 script text? We could use a few more keyboards working away on this.

How come ya'll alright aren't using Wedge's site? It seems to be a complete guide to the whole series already.

What part of Wedge's site are you referring to? He links to the CIC's mission section, and there is huge amount of information from the strategy guide that is nowhere online. Wedge's dialogue script is also edited, so we need to look at the source material for that.

Alright, so I finished up the Gateway series and started to work on Gimle.

If someone else could start to add the missing text to the other mission articles that would be great. I'm concentrating all my efforts on getting the USG text into the site.

DaveO, feel free to start adding the Nav Maps to the missions that are missing them.

LOAF, if you could take a look at the entries I've created and add in some of the smaller things (victory points, medals, etc) that would be fantastic.

To anybody else, grab a copy of the WC1 script, load up WCPedia, the CIC game guide's and Wedge's site and start using them to copy and paste the proper text into the project. It's not super hard, but will take a bit of work, but it's worth it right?

And if you don't own the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide, take a look at the mission entries that are up. You'll learn a little about Lt. Col. LaFong and maybe a thing or two you didn't know. It's great reading!

EDIT - The USG text for Gimle is now also in there.

Back