WCP/SO+ Fog + D3D

ZekeSulastin

Spaceman
Origin only wrote a fog routine for the 3dfx Voodoo chipset in Prophecy/Secret Ops - has anyone made a patch to allow D3D devices to have fog in the game? (Secret Ops preferred - thinking of Unknown Enemy)

It's been a while since I had a Voodoo card - I can't remember :rolleyes:

I was looking because I was playing Unknown Enemy (excellent SO mod). In the simulator, there is a "Nebula" mission. All that was different was a moving green space texture, and full green lighting on all the ships. Not hard. Then it hit me - it probably made heavy use of the fog effect ...

Thanks for explaining what Unknown Enemy was, cause nobody on these forums would have known. :)

More seriously, I find Direct3d to be nuetered in most cases when compared to Glide... really you should only resort to it when you do not have a Glide-capable card and OpenGL is not available.

Buuuuuuut in the context of SO I guess there is no other choice. I suppose you could put something on the monitor and spray it down with spam or something to simulate fog effects. That's how older video game systems worked, you know. If screen overlays were good enough for them, they should be good enough for us!

Or you could assume otherwise and think that everyone on these boards are a pack of loonies. I wouldn't think you'd do that, though...

To make it plain: When a statement is followed by another that begins with "More seriously," it is a good bet that the previous statement was less than serious. The smiley should have added to the less-than-seriousness.

Your assumption was correct.

Gee, I'm sorry, I just tend to populate a PDA tech support forum where certain people don't know how to turn the dang thing on! (I'm thinking of one in particular ...)

All this discussion over a simple yes or no question ;) And to answer yours, D3D is the only thing available ...

Originally posted by Nomad Terror
Or you could assume otherwise and think that everyone on these boards are a pack of loonies. I wouldn't think you'd do that, though...

We're all loonies, but we know everything there is about WC.

The fog in the vision engine wasn't like nebula fog.. It obscured things at a distance.. So if you had fog enabled the Midway wouldn't just appear out of nowhere.. she's gradually de-obscure into view.

Originally posted by ZekeSulastin

I was looking because I was playing Unknown Enemy (excellent SO mod). In the simulator, there is a "Nebula" mission. All that was different was a moving green space texture, and full green lighting on all the ships. Not hard. Then it hit me - it probably made heavy use of the fog effect ...

Nope. It didn't. With the introduction of the long range patch to SO (it is part of UE) fogging also became quite obsolete anyhow...
Fogging in the WCP/SO engine only countered the pop up effect of objects.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
The fog in the vision engine wasn't like nebula fog...
Although a nebula fog would just be fogging with a very short visible range, with coloured lighting, wouldn't it?

That's how it is done in most other space combat games featuring nebulae.

If you wanted to go all high tech you'd have currents and swirling masses of gas and what not. That would be really neat.

Back