WCP Secret Ops Shipmodels

Starman©

Spaceman
Hello,

I wonder if there is somebody outthere who can give me any help, how
to extract the complete ship-files from the secret ops data.tre ?

I already tried "WCPRIP", but then all the subsystems on the ships are
missing (Besides that you need to know before, where the file is and what
its name is).

The WCP-EDIT-Programm is a good peace of work, but its export-function
is not suitable for this job. It creates a *.wcs-file, and that's nothing I can
open with any modeling-programms. Or is there a converter to 3ds or something
else outthere ?

Is there a way, to extract the whole data.tre file ? Then I could pick the single
subsystems together and rebuild the models easily (and textures won't be lost
also, texturing is not my strength).

So any help will be welcome . I guess asking for complete models would be to much,
or isn't it ? If not, you are welcome to send them to me too :p

I already have some of the nephelim-fighters ready, take a lock (they are build for
the freespace2-engine) :
devilray.jpg

manta-blue.jpg

The WC3D website has many of the models you're looking for - http://wcmdf.solsector.net/.

It definitely is possible to extract everything from data.tre, too. You can do this using TREMAN, which you can find on HCl's page. Once you've extracted the files you're interested in, you can convert them to other formats using 3D Exploration and Thomas Bruckner's plug-in for that program. Mind you, 3D Exploration is a bit outdated... the later versions of this program are called Deep Exploration or something like that. Dunno if Thomas' plug-in works with them. Either way, Thomas' plug-in only reads WCP meshes - not textures. In order to see proper textures using this plug-in, you need to convert the texture files to bitmaps, using the converter from Thomas' page.

Keep in mind that many WCP ships are stored in multiple mesh files. The rotating engine nacelles on the Vampire and Panther, for example, are not a part of the main mesh (anything that moves or rotates independently of the ship's movement on fighters, and anything that can be targetted on a capship, is stored separately from the main mesh).

By the way, your conversions of the Nephilim ships are inaccurate :p. Nephilim ships do not have engine flames.

Those models are from tolwyns 3D site, but there are only the fighters and
the tiamat. I added the thrusterflames, to make them comparable to our other
fighters in WCSaga, and It looks very cool ingame. Those are just static pictures
from "Modelview", which shows allways the thruster at is full length. In conjunction
with the freespace-engine-glows they look pretty good, trust me ;) .

But maybe, I'm making them a little smaller in the final stage, but it won't look good
without the flames. Maybe some smaller ones like in the picture you see here (It's a
ingame-screenshot, it gives you a idea of the additional engine-glowpoints)

I know (and already use) 3D-Exploration and the WCP-Addon. My problem was
to get my hand on the iff-files. Textures are no problem either, there is also
a mat-to-bmp-converter out, which I already use. No I just have to try to put the
single model-part together, and that should be no prob when I get my hands on
them.

I will try out that TREMAN you suggested. And thanks a lot for this information, this was
the hint I was looking for, now I can continue work. :p

manta-red.jpg

Yeah, those engines do look a lot better on the in-game screenshot :). Is it possible to make them even shorter, while keeping their other dimensions the same? Basically, it should look like the end of the ship is glowing, not a flame behind the ship.

Maybe, I don't know yet. To be honest, I don't like fighters in the freespace-engine
without thrusterflames. It doesn't look very realistic in my opinion, even organic
nephelim-ship would have some sort of propulsion system. if you know what I
mean.

But that's something for the future to discuss, I need to concentrate on other
things first. :)

Back