WCP Quotes

Heh. I meant the full blown "BSE crisis" when people were panicking in a big way about the link between BSE and CJD in humans. IIRC, that was a while after P2's release.

Best, Raptor

There been worries about that for nearly ten years now. Whether or not there is a link, that seems to continually getting conflicting results.

I think the panic was worst around 95-97.

Originally posted by TC
Mark Hamill's hot.

You'd be surprised how many middle-aged women agree with you. I use to be a member of the International Mark Hamill Society (A running gag from friends for 3 years) and got the news letter.

Scary german housewives in their mid 40s and 50s. :eek:

However, one newsletter had shitty little pics from Prophecy, including a shot of Hamill getting make-up buises and such. I doubt it's worth scanning its so shitty.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm sure Mrs Hamill will think a similar thing - in any case, he's not ugly.

Mrs. Hamill isn't exactly a hottie. I met them at a premiere. She seems very nice though. I think she's one of those women who just doesn't age as well as other women. Looks aren't everything. I have to say what Antix said, he looks better than me.

Er, I think I was just pointing out that Mark was already married (yes, LeHah, I know you knew that already).

But if I had the opportunity to meet the Hamills, I don't think I would be judging whether Mrs Hamill was a 'hottie' or not. ;)

Going through a car windshield at 60 mph and down the side of a cliff in 1978 didn't help his looks either. Plastic surgery then isn't what it is now.

Supposedly, Mark is a chain smoker and is very... creepily insane. My friend Garrett has been dating a family friend of the Hamills for close to a year now. She made me think that Hamill is the kind of guy that sits out on his porch and shoots crows with his 12-gauge.

(Then again, I don't believe a solitary slovo out of the girl's mouth)

"Supposedly". Anything to add weight to that statement? Because that description would creep me out too.

I remember talking to someone at DA (Eric Peterson, IIRC) years back, who said that Mark Hamill was a very, very kind person -- who you could convince to do whatever you want (they'd gotten him to do his WCM cameo for free)... and that because of this, his wife is his manager <G>

I know he refused to wear the coolest shirt ever when he signed WC CCG cards at GenCon, though... (on the other hand, he *did* sign WC:CCG cards at GenCon...).

What was the coolest shirt ever? A LMG shirt or something? :)

ccg-shirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why he refused to wear it. It's pretty cool lookin!

What I liked about Privateer 2:

* Comparable graphics to WC4.
* Interesting trade engine. Finally get wingmen in Privateer.
* Monoliths!!!
* The actors. All right, so the star wasn't pretty -- he was a privateer! He's not SUPPOSED to be pretty! He's supposed to be gritty and tough with a strange, dark, sexual magnetism, like a vampire.

What I didn't like about Privateer 2:

* Too different from standard WC universe. I LIKED encountering the Kilrathi! I would have hoped that P2 would have allowed forays into Kilrathi space and to dock at their spaceports and colonies, but that whole universe was gone, to be replaced by something else entirely.

* Still have problems with win95 -- whenever I'm playing at the higher difficulty levels the game tends to go belly up after about twenty or so jumps and associated random encounters.

* This is the only game I've ever played where the Random Encounters were the HARDEST part of the game. Why? Because one of the ways the engine makes it harder is it keeps track of the number of ships at a jump point, and if it ever falls below a certain number (about 8 or so on the higher difficulty levels) it randomly generates more ships of one faction or another until the number is back up to the expected constant.

This is a real pain at jump points with a significant pirate presence -- you keep killing pirates and the game keeps dumping more on you, turning every damn jump point into a grueling endurance run. Kill kill kill more pirates, kill kill kill more pirates, kill kill kill 2 pirates and a neutral, who won't defend himself but I must protect him or that'll be one less ship at the jump point and give the game more excuses to throw pirates at me, kill kill kill 3 pirates jump in, kill kill kill 1 pirate and 2 military ships jump in, kill the pirate who kills the military and MORE pirates jump in, rinse and repeat until finally you have enough military and neutral ships at the jump point that the engine won't generate more ships and you can jump -- to the NEXT jump point, and do it all over again.

I felt like I was playing "Space Invaders" or "Galaga" from the 80s -- wave after infinite wave of enemy fighters, who just keep coming and coming till you are dead. It got to that I looked FORWARD to the actual missions, which I found immeasurably easier because if they fought hard at least they didn't have near-infinite reinforcements!

* And, of course, the difficulty increases by an order of MAGNITUDE if you accidentally shoot a military ship! Those trigger-happy thugs have no patience or understanding and all of a sudden you have the grueling endurance job of clearing a nav point of BOTH military AND pirate ships -- no easy feat!! Especially when the military sends in a Destroyer.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by pendell
* This is the only game I've ever played where the Random Encounters were the HARDEST part of the game. Why? Because one of the ways the engine makes it harder is it keeps track of the number of ships at a jump point, and if it ever falls below a certain number (about 8 or so on the higher difficulty levels) it randomly generates more ships of one faction or another until the number is back up to the expected constant.

This is a real pain at jump points with a significant pirate presence -- you keep killing pirates and the game keeps dumping more on you, turning every damn jump point into a grueling endurance run. Kill kill kill more pirates, kill kill kill more pirates, kill kill kill 2 pirates and a neutral, who won't defend himself but I must protect him or that'll be one less ship at the jump point and give the game more excuses to throw pirates at me, kill kill kill 3 pirates jump in, kill kill kill 1 pirate and 2 military ships jump in, kill the pirate who kills the military and MORE pirates jump in, rinse and repeat until finally you have enough military and neutral ships at the jump point that the engine won't generate more ships and you can jump -- to the NEXT jump point, and do it all over again.

I felt like I was playing "Space Invaders" or "Galaga" from the 80s -- wave after infinite wave of enemy fighters, who just keep coming and coming till you are dead. It got to that I looked FORWARD to the actual missions, which I found immeasurably easier because if they fought hard at least they didn't have near-infinite reinforcements!

* And, of course, the difficulty increases by an order of MAGNITUDE if you accidentally shoot a military ship! Those trigger-happy thugs have no patience or understanding and all of a sudden you have the grueling endurance job of clearing a nav point of BOTH military AND pirate ships -- no easy feat!! Especially when the military sends in a Destroyer.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You forgot.....
After killing 80 pirates/Cis and traveled across the map (i.e 24 minijumpoints), the game crashes after landing in Hermes/mid mission/going to drink coke/breath or something else. :p

Seems to me that Priv2 is very buggy... of course, I can't even get my CD version of Priv 1 to work, so it's not something that really concerns me...

Is it more stable in pure DOS?

Back