WCP & MS Force Feedback Joystick

Marcml30

Spaceman
Does WCP work w/ FF? I ask because the MS website had a preconfigured WCP profile at one time and I have it on my system. However, I don't get any feedback.

Not to put down the Force Feedback sticks, but THEY SUCK!!:) Trashed mine 2 weeks after getting it. Ill stick to my MS Sidewinder 3d Precision Pro w/o FF!

RFB

Well a Force Feedback stick will react to things like being hit by weapons fire, the stick will "jerk" and move around in respect to the impact or flight manuvers. It is supposed to simulate the effect on hard wired controls such as in old aircraft, where you could feel the pressure of the air over the control surfaces, such as in a high speed dive or other high G pull turn. Which wouldnt make sense in space!! But it just adds effect. IMO, it hampers gameplay. Especially if your chasing a bogie, and get hit in the six with a missle and it throws your aim off on the target youre trying to chase down. Some say it really adds to the sim experience. I did find it rather usefull in my MS flight sim 2000 pro, where landing on a 3,000 foot runway in 40mph crosswinds in a learjet 45, you basically had to "fight" the controls to land that thing. When I play the WC games or other space sim I just use my MS SW PP w/o FF.

RFB

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
hmm...sounds kinda cool. Been thinking about picking up a new joystick, I don't know if I want to risk it
I disagree with RFBurns - FF does not suck. If you've ever played Red Baron II you'll know what I mean. You'll feel when you get hit and know how close you are to a stall. He is right about the space part though - it doesn't add a lot. I do feel that it adds to the simulation though. My feeling is that the more sensory the game the better. I kind of liked the frustration of lining up on an enemy's tail only to have my aim knocked off because I wasn't watching my six. Driving games can also benefit from FF as (in some games) you can feel how close you are to a skid or when you hit a wall. If you can, find a friend who has FF and try it out.

About the only time I use my FF stick is for the MS flight sim 2000 pro. I also use it on Janes Longbow Gold and ATF Gold. If you really want the effect of the FF stick, grab Longbow Gold, and hold a hover at 60 feet altitude with a mear 30mph crosswinds!! Never tried Red Barron II, but flew a bi-plane in MS flight sim 2000 pro with it, and it does give another sense for the game. I personally dont like it, so that stick sits there collecting dust!! :)

RFB

Back