WCP Gold patch?

captnpete

Spaceman
Hi there! Long time lurker, first time "post'er". I recently purchased WCP Gold on eBay and just tried instlalling the Secret Ops pack onto my PC. However, it stops towards the end of installation saying it can't complet it since there is a file by the name of "glide2x.dll" missing. What gives? How can I obtain this file in order to play the game (amongst my all-time faves)? Or is there another way around this, such as installing some long-lost patch I'm not aware of?

Please forgive me if this appears as a rookie mistake and/or error and/or problem to get around. Truth be told I'm not computer-savvy at all, so please "be gentle" ;) ;) ;) I just want to play this game one more time and can't get the d@mn thing to install.

Thanks in advance,

Captain Pete

Hey there, Chris! Nope the disk isn't damaged at all. Thanks for the link - I'm downloading it as we "speak"

Update: well, the download went fine, but then the game crashed as soon as I booted it up. Again it said that the glide2x.dll file is missing. I may just go over to the MS website and see if I can find it there.

Any advice is welcome ...

glide?

if i am not mistaken, that was the api (is that even the right term) for the old 3dfx voodoo cards.

do you have your video settings configured for a 3dfx card?

Missing glide2x.dll errors tend to be related to picking the API incorrectly indeed. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but it's worth a shot: if during installation you are asked to select your video device, try choosing Direct3D (it might be listed as "Primary Video Device" or somesuch) instead of Glide/3dfx. If you've already installed the game, just run the setup.exe program on your Secret Ops folder... the video device selection is available there as well (you can change it any time after installation).

(Of course, if the error comes before you're even given that choice, then this must not be the problem, and the above suggestions won't help at all. :p)

For the record, downloading glide2x.dll will most likely *not* solve the problem - if you don't have it in the first place, it usually means your hardware doesn't support/need it.

Eder - the error occurs before I'm given the choice to select my video device during installation.

Derek - I've got an NVIDIA GeForce4 with AGP8X (128 mb RAM), so my settings are configured for/by it.

Thanks for the help, guys. I also thank you for your patience.

Are you using XP by chance? If so you have to enable compatibility mode for '98.

Yes, I'm using XP. How do I go about activating the Win98 mode? As I said, I know diddly about Windows software. Thanks for your patience.

Find the executable file, right click on it and select Properties. Move over to the Compatibility Tab.

captnpete said:
Yes, I'm using XP. How do I go about activating the Win98 mode? As I said, I know diddly about Windows software. Thanks for your patience.

Right-click on the shortcut, select "Properties" in the Context Menu that opens up after you do so. Click on the "Compatibility" tab and check "Turn on compatibility mode for" and drag the dropdown box to "Windows 98"

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSS!!!!!! It works. Thanks for all your advice, guidance, and - most of all - patience. I'm taking to the stars again to go blast some bugs.

Cheers to you all!!!

Back