WCP and SO with Win XP and nVidia GeForce4 video card

CoachMark

Spaceman
I have been checking out a friend's Dell 8200 with this 64MB video card built in, and the graphics in these games are really inferior to my 3 1/2 year old system! The gun reticle is poorly drawn, the white plus sign nav point does not appear, there is no gun sight for the stormfire, the edges are poorly drawn, etc. I've updated the driver and checked out the (limited) settings options to no avail. Anyone else having this, or succeeding in overcoming it? Thanks much. Mark.

I know there are supposed to be some problems with reticles in Direct3D mode, but some things were solved with setting texel alignment to 7 or something like that. I don't have any options like that, so someone else will have to confirm that.

I take the lack of sight on the stormfire as a challenge. It makes things more difficult.

Unfortunately there is no such setting available for this card and system. It might not be so bad, except that the enemy ships are hard to see and the screen is darker than its usual darkness in SO. I'm beginning to think that a built-in Intel chip is the only decent video card out there. :(

Originally posted by CoachMark
...the white plus sign nav point does not appear, there is no gun sight for the stormfire...
I actually have these problems, but I live with it. Most of the other problem are just aesthetic.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I know there are supposed to be some problems with reticles in Direct3D mode, but some things were solved with setting texel alignment to 7 or something like that. I don't have any options like that, so someone else will have to confirm that.
Bah; screw Direct3D and just go with Glide in WCP, then... (BTW, you can also choose Glide for SO, can't you?--I haven't tried that yet...):cool:

Originally posted by Wedge009
Not everyone is so fortunate.
Y' mean, "so fortunate" as to have a Voodoo card?...

I would think their'd be tons of 'em available for purchase out there, since they been around so long now...

Back