WCM's Dilligent

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Does anyone know where I can find some pics of the Dilligent from the movie? I only found 3 pics at the CIC's movie section, but that's not enough for me... there's only one shot which is clear enough, and all of them show the Dilligent more or less from the same angle. (I want enough reference pictures to make a 3D model of the Bannockburn, which is the same class as the movie's Dilligent.)

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
(I want enough reference pictures to make a 3D model of the Bannockburn, which is the same class as the movie's Dilligent.)

I hate to throw a wrench into your plans, but to be honest, we don't actually know what class the Bannockburn is.

Quite right, but the CIC's ship list says it's an Errant-class merchantman, and even if that was just someone's unfounded guess, it's easier to just go with it than to come up with a new class.

--Eder

Does anyone know where I can find some pics of the Dilligent from the movie? I only found 3 pics at the CIC's movie section, but that's not enough for me... there's only one shot which is clear enough, and all of them show the Dilligent more or less from the same angle. (I want enough reference pictures to make a 3D model of the Bannockburn, which is the same class as the movie's Dilligent.)

--Eder

Eder, you do realize that the movie Dilligent's size was inaccurate compared to the WC Games?

It was only 35 meters for example. The Bannockburn had a fighter strapped onto it, or in it. It would have to be a lot larger. Still small enough to fit on a carrier though, I'm guessing 70-120 meters long.

-Concordia

Actually, my guess is that it couldn't be any more than 40 meters long, since it operated with Tarawa-style CVEs (which couldn't fit a Broadsword through its hangar entrance, and could just barely fit a marine landing craft from ER), though I admit I don't remember wheter it was explicitly stated if the Bannockburn was launched from/ recovered by any of these CVEs or not.

Being 35 meters long doesn't seem too unlikely when you consider that it was manned by only 2 people, and the fighter it stored was only a 10 meter long Ferret... IIRC, Paladin or Hunter even mention how the idea of fitting a Ferret on the thing's cargo bay seemed impossible at first.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Well, they're not great images, but regardless, here are those shots.

Great images or not, they will do perfectly fine :D Thanks again WildWeasel

--Eder

The Dilligent was my favorite looking ship in the movie. It looks a tad like the Millennium Falcon but then again, the Falcon looks a bit like the Dilligant.

The Errant class merchantman is 25 meters long. It is more than capable of carrying a 10.2 meter Ferret...

Actually, my guess is that it couldn't be any more than 40 meters long, since it operated with Tarawa-style CVEs (which couldn't fit a Broadsword through its hangar entrance, and could just barely fit a marine landing craft from ER), though I admit I don't remember wheter it was explicitly stated if the Bannockburn was launched from/ recovered by any of these CVEs or not.

Being 35 meters long doesn't seem too unlikely when you consider that it was manned by only 2 people, and the fighter it stored was only a 10 meter long Ferret... IIRC, Paladin or Hunter even mention how the idea of fitting a Ferret on the thing's cargo bay seemed impossible at first.

Great images or not, they will do perfectly fine :D Thanks again WildWeasel

--Eder

Actually it can be longer than 40... here's why.

The broadswords are only 36, but they're very wide. The Errant's are long and thin. Even if they were 50 or so meters, they would still be narrower than a broadsword.

Additionally there is another fact...

Jump-drives are not designed to jump twice their own size. To carry on a ferret you'd probably need to be bigger than 2x it's size.

Also, was the ferret attached externally?

If it was carried IN the bay, the ship would almost have to be 40-60 meters.

-Concordia

Originally posted by Concordia
Actually it can be longer than 40... here's why.

The broadswords are only 36, but they're very wide. The Errant's are long and thin. Even if they were 50 or so meters, they would still be narrower than a broadsword.

That's most likely correct... but where does it say that the broadsword is too wide (or too tall, for that matter) to be launched from a CVE? The problem could well be the length, since this isn't only about fitting the thing inside the hangar. It's gotta have enough room to be launched, stored, and recovered.

Like I said, though, I don't remember if the Bannockburn is launched from or recovered by any of the CVE it flies with, so this point could be moot.

As for the Ferret, I get the impression that it was stored internally, but even so, I don't get what you're trying to say... if I say a 10.2m long ship fits inside a 25m long ship, there's no reason to doubt it unless further information is given about the 25m ship (such as "it has no cargo bay" or "it's just one big engine with a cockpit attached to it")

--Eder

Like I said, though, I don't remember if the Bannockburn is launched from or recovered by any of the CVE it flies with, so this point could be moot.

The Bannockburn was, in fact, stored in the Tarawa's cargo bay for the first leg of their journey.

but where does it say that the broadsword is too wide (or too tall, for that matter) to be launched from a CVE?

Nowhere. However, in End Run, when Bear is talking about the Tarawa's flight wing, he noted that the 2-seat Sabre bomber variant was used on CVEs because Broadswords (emphasis mine) were too big to operate off of a CVE. A single Broadsword can launch from a CVE, but they're too big to be practical operating off a CVE in squadron strength (Tarawa needing to carry the TCMC landing craft [mentioned as being about as big as a Broadsword] for the main mission in End Run, wasn't a "regular" situation; even then, if not for Sparks pointing out the cargo hooks on the overhead things would've gotten pretty ugly on the flight deck, especially once underway).

Originally posted by Death

[mentioned as being about as big as a Broadsword] for the main mission in End Run,

And a broadsword ain't small...in WCATV it seemed to have decently spacious cockpit, rivaled only by the Longbow that appeared....which looked more like a bridge than a cockpit.

That's my point... Tarawa-style CVEs might just be unable to operate a 60 meter long ship, no matter wheter it fits through the hangar entrance or not... so while a 60 meter long Bannockburn could still have less width and height than a Broadsword, that doesn't mean that a CVE would be capable of launching it and picking it up afterwards.
Couple that with what WildWeasel said about the Bannockburn being stored inside the Tarawa (Did this happen while the Tarawa was carrying that extremely expensive piece of surveillance equipment? The one which was big enough to make it impossible for the Tarawa to recover all of the Normandy's fighters later on? Because that would implicate that the Bannockburn requires even less deck space to operate...) and, IMO, you've got enough evidence to support the Bannockburn's relatively small size.

--Eder

Back