WCIV in windows 7 64bit

Papagod

Spaceman
i'm trying to play the wc4 dvd version in windows 7, the intro videos and sound work fine but after the last cutscene where Blair and Maniac leave the bar and take off in Hellcats, the game crashes to desktop, the sound plays from the green mission briefing page but screen is black, then when i press a key to continue it crashes.

so just to reiterate, the movies and sound work fine but its crashing on the first mission briefing after the intro cutscene.

any ideas?

edit

the wc4 version im using is the one from this website (wc4CDtoDVD, a single dvd made from all 6 original cd's with the high res DVD movies downloaded from here which doesnt need a dvd in drive to play it.

Did you set the compatability mode on the WC4 executable to win95 or 98?

Did you set the compatability mode on the WC4 executable to win95 or 98?

yes i've tried all the compatibility options, a few people had the same problem in this thread from a few years back but it looks like they didnt solve it...https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/wing-commander-4-on-win-7-64bit.24918/

not sure if it's a win7 64bit or codec issue..:confused:

edit

i think it's a problem with dxmci.dll, i tried an older version of this file and now i can get into space flight after the initial intro cutscenes but the movies won't play, kinda the opposite of what is happening with the newer .dll....

Last edited by a moderator:
kinda fixed it by registering the batch file within the wc4 directory (thanks to Tarvis who posted this solution in a previous topic), some ship textures are messed up but i can live with that.

Back