WCIV: DVD

The WC4 DVD was only sold bundled with certain types of DVD drives -- you can't buy them in stores alone.

Are there any other benefits besides not having 6 discs to swap out? I love the game so I'd buy it for that reason alone.

Yes and no
The video quality is MUCH better :)
But unless you have a creative Dxr2 drive its unlikely to be fully compataible

So it won't be any different in my NEC 5700A? I think thats what they call this thing. It came with the computer, a Dell.

No, it won't run at all on your computer...:) Well, it might -- and you'll be able to play the movies, at least.

The video quality is *incredible* -- the increase can't be described...

Why didn't they release the game on DVD as well, if there's such an improvement? They already put in all the work to make it, why not sell it?
Sometimes Origin policy doesn't make too much sence to me.

Huh?
What is this compatibility problem you guys are talking about?

You mean the WC IV DVD might not work on all DVD players (aside from the zoning problem)? :(

The DVD wasn't developed by Origin -- it was done by Daylight Productions, as part of a contract with Creative. This was back when DVD standards weren't set yet -- so WCIV DVD was designed to work only with Creatives DXR2 decoder boards. This is why they didn't sell it seperately (well... there may have been some contract issue, too). Plus, back when it was developed, DVD players were *rare* <G>

Thanks for the help. I really don't want to spend $50 on a game that *might* work. Especially when I have a working orignal version. Although I would like to see the improved movies, I also want to be able to play thru the game. Guess I can't have eggs in my beer and drink it too.

Guilty conscience... :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The video quality is *incredible* -- the increase can't be described...
So much so that LOAF could find his callsign on the Intrepid's menu. :)

<sigh> And I guess there isn't much hope of Daylight Productions or anybody else making a new DVD version which would be compatible with all DVD-ROMs.

By the way, LOAF, whatever happened to your efforts to get the original WCP script released?

$tormin: If you've already got a WC4 DVD, then I'll want to delete your post out of pure jealousy (that's a joke... I might hire someone to kill you, but I wouldn't really abuse my moderating powers :)), and if you don't, then you're implying that you're gonna get yourself a pirated copy.

Still working on it -- ran into some trouble when the Daylight people disappeared (their parent company went out of business...)

Originally posted by Quarto
<sigh> And I guess there isn't much hope of Daylight Productions or anybody else making a new DVD version which would be compatible with all DVD-ROMs.

By the way, LOAF, whatever happened to your efforts to get the original WCP script released?

$tormin: If you've already got a WC4 DVD, then I'll want to delete your post out of pure jealousy (that's a joke... I might hire someone to kill you, but I wouldn't really abuse my moderating powers :)), and if you don't, then you're implying that you're gonna get yourself a pirated copy.

what i HAD said was that I would Make a DVD copy so i wouldn't have to keep swiching disks. Making a backup compy of my cds would lead to NO improvement in quality. infact it probably would get worse, not that i would notice really. its pretty hard to watch on my moniter right now with all those huge lines though it.
and couldn't there be a program that would allow someone to use the dvd's from that company on a normal dvd drive?

Originally posted by $tormin
what i HAD said was that I would Make a DVD copy so i wouldn't have to keep swiching disks. Making a backup compy of my cds would lead to NO improvement in quality. infact it probably would get worse, not that i would notice really. its pretty hard to watch on my moniter right now with all those huge lines though it.
Oh, right, I get ya. I dunno if that would work, actually.

Originally posted by Quarto
Originally posted by $tormin
Oh, right, I get ya. I dunno if that would work, actually.

why woulnn't it work? making backup copies is legal. and it would mean that if i scratch a disk im not in deep S*** trying to find a new copy.

There was a time when people would frown upon you for making backup copies of floppies! Then, installation manuals would print "Make backup copies of the original disks, and use the copies to install the game, store the original disks in a safe place". Well the same can be said for CD's, DVD's. If you have the hardware, burn all you want for backup purposes. And yes, its alot better than driving yourself crazy trying to find a replacement when they arent made anymore!

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
There was a time when people would frown upon you for making backup copies of floppies! Then, installation manuals would print "Make backup copies of the original disks, and use the copies to install the game, store the original disks in a safe place". Well the same can be said for CD's, DVD's. If you have the hardware, burn all you want for backup purposes. And yes, its alot better than driving yourself crazy trying to find a replacement when they arent made anymore!

RFB

yes. and then theres those people that think that all copies made of games are going to be sold illeagaly.

Its just not cost effective to produce bootleg copies for sale unless you can mass produce the copies to offset the cost of the media, the duplicators and printing.

RFB

Originally posted by RFBurns
Its just not cost effective to produce bootleg copies for sale unless you can mass produce the copies to offset the cost of the media, the duplicators and printing.

RFB

somthing illeagal dosn't have to be high quality, think of all the rotgut sold during the prohibitions.

Back