WCIV DVD video problem

Backslash

Spaceman
I just got the Wing Commander IV DVD. While the movies play beautifully with PowerDVD and other such programs, the game itself won't show the movies.

I read the README.TXT, and realize this has to do with an entry in win.ini under [mci extensions] starting like "vob=". What am I supposed to set this to?

I tried "vob=MPEGVideo2", and this made the intro work, but after the first 'decision' no other video clips would play and I would get an error message "Missing movie" or something like that.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Well, you might try changing the file associatoins (start, settings, folder options, file types). Find .Vob and change "Open with" to the DVD player program, if it isn't there already. Sometimes it works. I had the same problem, and I also had to resort to uninstalling/reinstalling WC4 and the DVD player several times before the movies would work.

Hope that helped

I had the same problem, and I tried what you just suggested, and guess what... IT DIDN'T WORK! any other suggestions?

(P.S.- .vob files weren't on the list already, so I had to add them and THEN change them, could that be why it didn't work?)

I have a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP which is SUPPOSSED to have DVD decoding included, I don't know what to do! :(

Originally posted by Backslash
...the game itself won't show the movies.
Interesting... I thought getting the game to run was the hard bit.

Originally posted by Backslash
I tried "vob=MPEGVideo2"...
Um, have a look at the other declarations under that MCI header. IIRC, there's supposed to be a driver file attached to the vob= bit. I've had to do something similar with audio codecs.

I have a ideal.:eek: Post your the [mci extensions] under win.ini and [mci] under system.ini. This is what you call on the fly troubleshooting.;) The guesting game.

okay, here goes:

[mci extensions]
mid=Sequencer
rmi=Sequencer
wav=waveaudio
avi=AVIVideo
cda=CDAudio
midi=Sequencer
aif=MPEGVideo
aifc=MPEGVideo
aiff=MPEGVideo
asf=MPEGVideo2
asx=MPEGVideo2
au=MPEGVideo
snd=MPEGVideo
ivf=MPEGVideo2
m3u=MPEGVideo
mp3=MPEGVideo
mp2=MPEGVideo
mpa=MPEGVideo
mpe=MPEGVideo
mpeg=MPEGVideo
mpg=MPEGVideo
mpv2=MPEGVideo
mp2v=MPEGVideo
m1v=MPEGVideo
wax=MPEGVideo2
wvx=MPEGVideo2
wm=MPEGVideo2
wmx=MPEGVideo2
wma=MPEGVideo2
wmp=MPEGVideo2
wmv=MPEGVideo2
vob=MPEGVideo
mov=QTWVideo
pic=QTWVideo
jpg=QTWVideo

and:

[mci]
cdaudio=mcicda.drv
sequencer=mciseq.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
avivideo=mciavi.drv
videodisc=mcipionr.drv
vcr=mcivisca.drv
MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv
MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv
WinDVD=ivimci.drv
QTWVideo=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MCIQTW.DRV

[Edited by Mav23 on 06-04-2001 at 10:29]

Back up your system.ini file. Change the
MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv to MPEGVideo=ivimci.drv and add this line
DVDVideo=ivimci.drv
If this fails just restore your system.ini file.

I tried that, and it works better, but there are lines running down the video (which isn't there when I play the movies in Windows Media Player BTW), and I have to press escape between every movies ending, and it will only play the first part of any jump sequence... :(

Maybe that Windows Media Player thing will help you guys help me, but I don't know...

Originally posted by Stinger
Kris: It works fine on my RealMagic Hollywood Plus decoder.
That's because DXR's are RealMagics. :)

The Creative DXR 3 is the same as the Hollywood+ you have. Due to a driver problem, WC4 DVD does run on the Hollywood+, but not on the DXR3.

Back