WCIV DVD edition grievous problem

Aggietheo

Spaceman
I have WC IV DVD edition and I have some serious issues with it. Appart from not getting the joystick to work which I can understand given my crappy sound card that doesn't like joysticks (that I will also be replacing soon), I have another problem. :(

During the cutscenes, the damn game can't find all the vob files. Oh, it can find some of em. But it's really anticlimactic when you are about to learn something new and then the game won't play any more video. If you are going to suggest going into WIN.INI, I've already done that and as I stated, my problem isn't that I can't play ALL vob files, just some (well most) of them. In fact the only one so far that the game reads is the very first one, the opening where tolwyn is speaking, then you get to go into a bar and a guy asks you if you can spare money for a drink. No matter which option I pick at that point, I get a little error message saying something like, "can't find file vob0010b" or something like that. Then it automatically takes me to the next role playing option having shown me no video and I get to pick one of those. As soon as I do it says something like "cant find vob0010f." This is gay! I can see the vob files right next to the first one (vob0010) on the DVD so why the hell can't it read them. I've gone around to three (yes exactly three) other friends who all have comparably powerful systems with DVD roms and the game does the exact same damn thing. I've installed all the patches for this game that are on this website and those seem to be the only ones out there anyway.

Has anyone EVER encountered this problem before? If so can you PLEASE tell me how to fix it?

Much thanks. I would really appreciate some help. :)

The game was made for the Creative Labs DXR2 card so it will only work properly if you have that card. It will however also work with a Hollywood+ card or a Creative Labs DXR3 that has been "fixed" to use the Hollywood+ drivers.

Sorry if I am not savvy enough to recognize whether you are talking about sound cards or video cards. I assume video cards right? And if what you are saying is true, that is a very Apple-esque way to write software. Do you mean to say I have to go out and buy a specific video card or I will NOT be able to view the cinematics?

Actually, it's a hardware DVD/MPEG2 decoder card that you install in conjunction with your video card. It isn't incredibly odd that it only works with those cards because it was only sold in a bundle with DXR2s and at the time computer DVD ROM playing wasn't incredibly standardized.

TC

So I can play the game w/out the video but I'll have to use a decoder to play the video which means exiting after every mission or something???

No, the game itself won't run. The only thing you can do is play the individual movie clips through MicroDVD or PowerDVD, to name just two.

Try this:

This worked for me...

Go into your system.ini, to the mci section, and add:
wc4=c:\windows\system\mcicinem.drv

Then, go into your win.ini to the mci extensions area and add:
vob=wc4

Try it out. If it worked for me it may work for you too. See, the newer games don't use MCI extensions much anymore; they all use DirectShow. This way uses an old MCI MPEG driver to decode the VOB files.

Re: Try this:

Originally posted by Maarak

Go into your system.ini, to the mci section, and add:
wc4=c:\windows\system\mcicinem.drv

Where does the mcicinem.drv come from (it is not a standard Win9x driver I think)?
What software DVD decoder(s) are you using?

Re: Re: Try this:

Originally posted by cff

Where does the mcicinem.drv come from (it is not a standard Win9x driver I think)?
What software DVD decoder(s) are you using?

ATI's DVD player. Came with my Radeon card. See if you can Find mci*.drv in your Windows folder, and try replacing MCICINEM with any other file that sounds like it might work. I found this one just through trial and error.

Dude! You are the man! It works great! By the way, what operating system are you using, and how did you figure it out?

Originally posted by Lunatic
Dude! You are the man! It works great! By the way, what operating system are you using, and how did you figure it out?

I'm using Win98SE, and I was just tooling with it. According to Microsoft, the WC4DVD won't work in Win2000 because of it's using the older MCI codecs instead of DirectShow, which is a part of DirectX. This got me thinking that maybe one of the other MCI codecs might do the job. I figured, what the heck, might as well try it. Glad it works for you, man! At least now I know it's not just my machine...

I did some digging. Win2000 does have the mcicinem.drv, and it does have mci settings. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get down and dirty with it though. XP does have some drv files and the system.ini, but doesn't have mcicinem. I'm gonna try and look into it a bit more. I think it is a standard win98 file, since my friends all have it (98, 98se, and 2000) and none of them have or have had ATI video cards.

I have a dual boot system with both Win98 and WinXP and none have MCICINEM.DRV in it. Are you sure this file wasn't installed for a given hardware driver ?

Good news for those of you with Win98SE (at least) without the mcicinem.drv file. In the system.ini file, find whatever setting under the [mci] part resembles your dvd player. Then in win.ini, set vob= {whatever value it is}.

Originally posted by Lunatic
Good news for those of you with Win98SE (at least) without the mcicinem.drv file. In the system.ini file, find whatever setting under the [mci] part resembles your dvd player. Then in win.ini, set vob= {whatever value it is}.

Nope. This will not generally work. I did try this with the only MCI driver I knew my system had (WinDVD) and it did not work. Always breaks when you have to do choices.

Back