WCIV: DosBox or Windows Patch+95 Mode?

Gagarin

Spaceman
Sure, WCIV with the Windows 95 patch and compatability mode will work.
But is it worth it to setup a DosBox install instead? I loved Privateer on DosBox, so I'm somewhat familiar with it.

I wish I could load the whole disc into RAM instead of waiting for optical drive spin-ups!

Anyway, wondering what the best way to do this now-a-days is.

Unless you have issues running the game on your system, the win95 version is certainly less resource intensive. I would think it would be easier that way to set up than trying to adjust dosbox settings just right... Either in dosbox or not, you can actually do what you ask though.. Copy each disk into a separate directory or create disk images and then you can mount the directories in dosbox or use something like Daemon tools to load from the harddrive instead of the CDs. There shouldn't be much wait time either way with modern CD drives.

If you're very comfortable with DOSBox, getting WC4 to run there shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think WC4 Win95 adds a higher color mode or something like that that's slightly technically better. Whether you're in DOSBox or Windows, you can copy the discs to the hard drive and either mount them in DOSBox or use Daemon tools to simulate discs and go without the CDs.

If you're very comfortable with DOSBox, getting WC4 to run there shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think WC4 Win95 adds a higher color mode or something like that that's slightly technically better. Whether you're in DOSBox or Windows, you can copy the discs to the hard drive and either mount them in DOSBox or use Daemon tools to simulate discs and go without the CDs.

Thank you both! I'll look into Daemon tools.

Back