WCIV and Sound Blaster Audigy

10mm Auto

Spaceman
Before I go through the trouble of tracking down a copy of WCIV, I want to know if it will work with my sound card. Obviously, SB: Audigy didn't exist when the game was released, but will it work as a "Soundblaster Compatible" option?

Better yet, can anyone tell me whether WCIV will autodetect my card (like modern games), or if I'll have to enter it manually? It's been so long since I last played it, that I really can't remember.

I managed to get WCIII to run flawlessly on my PC (see specs below), but minus speech or SFX. I don't consider IV worth getting unless I can have full sound.

If you download and run the DirectX patch to WCIV it should work with run with most modern cards.

Thanks.
Is there a way I can test it with the Demo? When I tried, I got a message, telling me to go buy the game. :)

I'm not sure if the demo has directx support. But if you have Kilrathi saga and it works, WCIV Windows should be work as well.

WCIV will work fine on an audigy. I'm running XP home on a fast P4. You will need the "official" windows patch (wc4win95.zip) from origin to convert the dos version to a windows 95 version and if you're running XP you may want to tick the win95 compatibility mode option under the file properties for the executable.

For WCIII sound and FX works if you use VDMS and configure the game during install as a soundblaster 16 (port 220 IRQ 7 DMA 1) I was initially having trouble getting the sound file to load but I cured that by copying the CD to the install directory and running it from there using VDMS The sound (so far) is prone to clicking noises. Suggested cures for the clicking noises have been to try and reduce traffic on the PCI bus, another was to try and move the card over a slot or two, but I haven't tried those yet.

I've had no luck at all getting privateer I to run on XP using NTFS. the best answer so far seems to be having an old second hand computer with an ISA slot soundblaster with a video switch to your monitor....(sigh)

Bytor

Back