WCIII for PSX on PC, seems to work for me

JonkyB

Spaceman
Hello everyone

My first experience with WC was way back when WC4 came out for the playstation. I bought it because I thought it looked cool, plus it had the clockwork orange guy (McDowell). I ended up buying WC4 for the PC later, as well as WCIII for the PSX. Now, I have a nice, new computer, and I'm tired of my old PSX. So, for anyone who wants to play WCIII on the computer, but doesnt own the PC version, or cant get it to work on a new computer, here's what I'm doing. (Plus, I can use the joystick this way, much better than the directional buttons)

So, I'm using some Logitech joystick, with programmable buttons. I'm also using the Playstation emulator called ePSXe. I programmed each of my joystick buttons to the keyboard buttons that correspond to each of the buttons on the playstation controller. I set the throttle to be triangle and X, and the two axes as the directional buttons. After messing around with the emulator's settings, I've got the graphics to look much better on my computer than on the playstation. Plus, I get to use the joystick! Of course, it's kind of a bitch trying to set the power and stuff like that, because I have to hold down two buttons with pressing another, et cetera et cetera, but I think it's worth it.

I bet this sort of thing would work for WC4 for the playstation too. Anyway, I was happy to see that it worked, and now I can play all the WCs I own on my new computer in some form or other. Except for Prophecy, dammit.

i'm running this on a dell inspiron 8200, with windows XP, 1.4 ghz, pentium 4 mobile, 256 mb ram, and a video card with 32MB memory. I haven't played WC3 on it very much, i've mostly used it for final fantasy and the like. For those games, I get a lot of slowdown for loading, I'd anticipate the same for WC3, but I've only just figured this solution out, I'm sure lots of problems will come up as I try it more.

Well, I bought it back in 96, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. It was at a regular software store, and it was whatever passed as a reasonable price back then. Methinks you might find a copy of the Kilrathi Saga on Amazon? I know you can find Prophecy and Prophecy gold on there.

Back