WCGenerals Beta Launch - Come and try it out!

Ron,

I admit that I've managed to spend only a few minutes on your game but I promise that I will give to it lot more time, hopefully, in the upcoming week.
I like your game a lot and I would like to offer some advices. Since Capi is by far the expert on these kind of games I would stick only to some UI points that I've noticed. Excuse me If you have already been noted about any of them but I didn't read the whole thread with detail.
a. I use a monitor with resolution 1920x1080 resolution. On maximize the grid still needs to be scrolled down. I've tested it both on Chrome and Firefox. It would be nice if it fully expanded with the screen.
In addition to that, the grid sprites could also scale up and become bigger as my browser window becomes larger. Maybe using the zooming utility you have already implemented.
b. I could use a timer somewhere up to the task bar to inform me about my time interval on the selected map. Moreover, If we are more than one players on the same map some information on "whose turn to play is" would be great.

Bottom line, you've done a great job and I will come back with more ideas and in more detail.

Last edited:
Got an bug/exploit to report - I've found the intrinsic value of surveyors like the Trahagir, the fact that they can move faster than anything else in the game, which makes them handy for scouting despite their lousy offensive/defensive capabilities. This morning I've discovered that when you click on one, if there are any jump points in its movement range, they get a blue border; if you then select a different ship, the blue border remains, enabling that ship to utilize the jump point even if it would ordinary be out of the other ship's movement range. I just got a whole fleet into New Constantinople from the other side of a system because the jump was in range of the surveyor...

On the up side, recent fixes to navigation appear to be working. I was finally able to get my two ships in Game #2 out of KM-252.

Still got a pair of lost Kamekhs in Game #2 and a lost Norgata in game #1 - actually the Norgata is listed in New Detroit; it's just not on the map anywhere. The Kamekhs have thoroughly vanished, though I think they're supposed to be in Ragnarok.

Still have ships in Game #1 deploying to New Detroit even though I don't have a shipyard there any more.

Last edited:
Is the vessel art from the old gal civ 2 wing commander ship pack that nobody can seem to find? I've been looking for the packs posted by Midnightrunner back in '09 off and on for a little while now.

Is the vessel art from the old gal civ 2 wing commander ship pack that nobody can seem to find? I've been looking for the packs posted by Midnightrunner back in '09 off and on for a little while now.

What's this now? I've been thinking about using GalCiv2 to make a few craft for Elegy...

So the game seemed to let me order enemy units to attack themselves when I accidentally double clicked them, but it also gave me a divide by zero error, so I'm not sure if it actually resolved the attack or not.

Ron,

I admit that I've managed to spend only a few minutes on your game but I promise that I will give to it lot more time, hopefully, in the upcoming week.
I like your game a lot and I would like to offer some advices. Since Capi is by far the expert on these kind of games I would stick only to some UI points that I've noticed. Excuse me If you have already been noted about any of them but I didn't read the whole thread with detail.
a. I use a monitor with resolution 1920x1080 resolution. On maximize the grid still needs to be scrolled down. I've tested it both on Chrome and Firefox. It would be nice if it fully expanded with the screen.
In addition to that, the grid sprites could also scale up and become bigger as my browser window becomes larger. Maybe using the zooming utility you have already implemented.
b. I could use a timer somewhere up to the task bar to inform me about my time interval on the selected map. Moreover, If we are more than one players on the same map some information on "whose turn to play is" would be great.

Bottom line, you've done a great job and I will come back with more ideas and in more detail.
Hi Maslas,

a. Sure. Will try and expand the screen according to the browser settings. Thanks for the advise.

b. There is no overall timer within the game. There is a time interval between when a ship is moved and attacks. You can say that instead of one overall turn there are many mini turns happening. This allows the players to continuously work on different areas of the game without having to wait endlessly for their turn to come.
If you click on the fleet list in the right panel you will see which ships can be moved and which cannot.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. When you get time please visit and play more. Want to develop this into a really great platform.

Ron

Got an bug/exploit to report - I've found the intrinsic value of surveyors like the Trahagir, the fact that they can move faster than anything else in the game, which makes them handy for scouting despite their lousy offensive/defensive capabilities. This morning I've discovered that when you click on one, if there are any jump points in its movement range, they get a blue border; if you then select a different ship, the blue border remains, enabling that ship to utilize the jump point even if it would ordinary be out of the other ship's movement range. I just got a whole fleet into New Constantinople from the other side of a system because the jump was in range of the surveyor...

On the up side, recent fixes to navigation appear to be working. I was finally able to get my two ships in Game #2 out of KM-252.

Still got a pair of lost Kamekhs in Game #2 and a lost Norgata in game #1 - actually the Norgata is listed in New Detroit; it's just not on the map anywhere. The Kamekhs have thoroughly vanished, though I think they're supposed to be in Ragnarok.

Still have ships in Game #1 deploying to New Detroit even though I don't have a shipyard there any more.
Hi Capi,

Firstly please abandon testing on Game 1 & 2. The new map settings are in game 3 onwards. Infact I will kill games 1 & 2 shortly as they have a lot of wrong parameters. Kindly join the newer games for testing.

Thanks for finding this bug, its a big one!! Will try and fix it asap.

I really appreciate your time and efforts to help me debug this! Salute!

Ron

Hi, Yes. These are midnight runners designs but the originals are long lost. Am working of some Jpegs that I painstakingly cropped for use in the game.

So the game seemed to let me order enemy units to attack themselves when I accidentally double clicked them, but it also gave me a divide by zero error, so I'm not sure if it actually resolved the attack or not.
Hi Dyret, Thanks for the bug report. Will fix it asap. Please keep the feedback coming.

Hi Capi,

Firstly please abandon testing on Game 1 & 2. The new map settings are in game 3 onwards. Infact I will kill games 1 & 2 shortly as they have a lot of wrong parameters. Kindly join the newer games for testing.

Thanks for finding this bug, its a big one!! Will try and fix it asap.

I really appreciate your time and efforts to help me debug this! Salute!

Ron

No problem; always glad to help out with debugging if I can. I'll also gladly abandon Games #1 and #2, as I was pretty much in survival mode as it was in Game #1 anyways and Game #2 I'd pretty much wiped everybody out...

I'll continue looking for little things as I see them. Didn't have a great deal of time to play yesterday on account of #okwx.

Two Major Updates and many minor fixes.

1. The planets, refineries, mining etc. have to be fought for. No more sweeping through a system picking up installations. You need to bring the heavy guns to bear on each installation. Asteroids are easier than planets but still need to be fought for.

2. Ship Repairing now available. Just park your ship next to your ship yard, click on the repair button on the right ship details window and get it fixed. Only strength below 8 will be fixed and only up to 8. Credits will be deducted from your overall credits total for each point of strength renewal (1 strength point = 10% of ship cost/value).

Coming up.

Merchants will be harvesting goods from your planets and installations to keep your credit score ticking and will also keep your merchants busy.

Please keep playing testing and post your ideas and recommendations.

Ron

Really enjoying the game so far. Thanks for putting this together! Since you're soliciting feedback, I did have two quick thoughts...

1 - Turn-Based mode: sometimes I have a few hours, sometimes I'm stuck at work with no chance to play, it'd be nice to have a mode where the pace of play could adjust based on my availability (and that of my opponents). If Turn-Based play isn't an option, the ability to change the turn duration mid-match would be neat.

2 - Adjustable Credits: What if I want to just jump in, create a mega fleet, and throw myself headlong at an opponent? It would be nice if starting credits could be altered, or, mid-match credit injections could be setup. A sort of "Every X turn, Y Credits applied" arrangement.

Really enjoying the game so far. Thanks for putting this together! Since you're soliciting feedback, I did have two quick thoughts...

1 - Turn-Based mode: sometimes I have a few hours, sometimes I'm stuck at work with no chance to play, it'd be nice to have a mode where the pace of play could adjust based on my availability (and that of my opponents). If Turn-Based play isn't an option, the ability to change the turn duration mid-match would be neat.

2 - Adjustable Credits: What if I want to just jump in, create a mega fleet, and throw myself headlong at an opponent? It would be nice if starting credits could be altered, or, mid-match credit injections could be setup. A sort of "Every X turn, Y Credits applied" arrangement.

Hi WLaurence,

Thank you for your feedback and spending time in the game. Truly appreciate it.

On your point 1, I gave it a lot of thought and the problem with turn based is people get stuck waiting for their turn or the opponents disappear leaving them stranded. With the current model you can keep playing (especially in a multiple player game) without having to wait for anyone. When there are only 1-2 people in the game and they know each other, turns work well. But if there are 10 players (we want to make epic battles) then turns become very difficult.

Although I am toying with the idea of having game windows during which time the game will be active and the rest of the time its dormant. What do you think?

2. Working on the credits. Your merchants will be able to harvest credits from planets and installations, making them valuable ships and targets as well. Also credits will be added on destroying enemy ships and capturing installations.

Again, keep playing and your feedback is very valuable.

Thanks
Ron

Again, keep playing and your feedback is very valuable.
I've never played Panzer General, so I'm having really a hard time figuring out where to click and when to click and why to click.
Do you think you could post some 5 minute quickstart video on YouTube?
I think that would make it much easier for anyone to get into the game, which I'd really love to as I absolutely love how it looks and I'd be more than happy to provide valuable feedback.

I've never played Panzer General, so I'm having really a hard time figuring out where to click and when to click and why to click.
Do you think you could post some 5 minute quickstart video on YouTube?
I think that would make it much easier for anyone to get into the game, which I'd really love to as I absolutely love how it looks and I'd be more than happy to provide valuable feedback.
Hi Delmar,

Sometimes we get so close to the project that we don't realize that for others it might not be so obvious. My apologies. I don''t know about a video but I can certainly create a simple manual. Overall its very simple and you don't really need Panzer General experience to get the hang of it. (Btw, Panzer General, most awesome game ever!!)

Thanks for your inputs. Will let you know as soon as I can cobble together a doc.

Ron

Although I am toying with the idea of having game windows during which time the game will be active and the rest of the time its dormant. What do you think?

Really, the ability to accelerate/decelerate a game is key. If I'm at work and my opponent(s) aren't, I could get way behind in a game, which would de-motivate me from playing (I don't want to disadvantage myself). So I set a long duration. Then I get home from work and have a ton of time to play, but I have to wait on the super long duration I've set.

I also get not wanting to get stuck waiting behind a line of people who have yet to take turns.

Would a hybrid be possible?

Turn-Based, but with a limit on how long a player has to take their turn? We advance either when I end my turn, or after X hours/minutes/seconds. That way we can move quickly if everybody is available, but we also have some protections in place against one laggard player slowing the game down.

Or you stick with the current duration, but if all players have played all ships, the clock resets? The duration is used to prevent one player from move-spamming the rest of the game, but again, if everybody is available, the game can advance early.

On your point 1, I gave it a lot of thought and the problem with turn based is people get stuck waiting for their turn or the opponents disappear leaving them stranded. With the current model you can keep playing (especially in a multiple player game) without having to wait for anyone. When there are only 1-2 people in the game and they know each other, turns work well. But if there are 10 players (we want to make epic battles) then turns become very difficult.

I agree with this point whole-heartedly; as someone whose first jaunt with the CIC was the TacOps, I know first-hand the frustration of having to wait for other players to make their moves in a 10+ player game...technically the current game of TacOps has been stuck on the current turn for something like two or three years now...

Haven't played much my own self lately; I need to get back to it to see if anybody's put a smackdown on any of my fleets recently...

I thought a time limit on turns was currently part of the design (admittedly one that was, last I checked, borked).

I agree with this point whole-heartedly; as someone whose first jaunt with the CIC was the TacOps, I know first-hand the frustration of having to wait for other players to make their moves in a 10+ player game...technically the current game of TacOps has been stuck on the current turn for something like two or three years now...

Haven't played much my own self lately; I need to get back to it to see if anybody's put a smackdown on any of my fleets recently...

I thought a time limit on turns was currently part of the design (admittedly one that was, last I checked, borked).

Time limit is on individual ship movement and attack. I was talking about a entire playable window like 10:pm to 3:00 am along with the individual ship restrictions which can be 60 sec or 1 min or 5 mins.

More I think about it, the more I like the idea of dual time controls. One overall time window and smaller ship level time delays.

Ron

Two quick questions this morning...

1 - Assets: do I get a one-time payout, or a recurring payout for an asset I control, and on what schedule? Is it just the game interval I've set from the time I conquered the asset?

2 - Carriers can repair fighters, yes? I've tried a couple of times and get a blank white box. I should have enough funds available, I can repair capships, but not fighters for some reason.

Back