WCESCRP Update and More

Maverick_^

Spaceman
Howdy Wingnuts, Mav here, we got the exclusive scoop on the the WCESCRP project, head over to http://wc.telefragged.com to get the scoop.

Also, I'd like to inform you guys on the state of WingED (which won't be updated until we have some very important news.)

Tom has told us that the Compiler, to be used with the interface is nearly complete....Which is very cool!!!!!!!!

I'll keep news on that going here...

Exclusive scoop?
smile.gif
Just because Jumper hasn't gotten around to updating the site
wink2.gif

In all honesty, I don't think there were many people out there that thought WCESCRP could succeed - but there was a chance, and it was worth a try.

BTW, I don't think I agree with your editorial. While we're obviously all disappointed with the outcome, I see no reason to attack David Swofford. Rude? Unprofessional? I do not entirely agree with the reasons he put up, but he most definitely wasn't either rude or unprofessional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mav I think you should change that, not only does it give origin a poor impression of the fans but it isn't really fair. I always knew it was a unlikely to happen.

Well, it is his editorial, and his opinion, so he doesn't have to change it. I just don't think it's valid, that's all.

Well ok, but I really don't like badmouthing, the update on the CIC does the exact same thing to the project its self, its a shame to see that certain CIC members can't respect fan projects other than wcnews and its information provided. Maybe I'm just biased as I'm still working on one but come on
smile.gif

We're all trying to get a job done, the PR guy, wcnews, ue, wcescrp included, what ever happened to respect for others?

Ohy thats enough high and mighty stuff for one day.

On re-reading the update it may no insult may have been intended but it just looks that way.

so the letter didn't work huh? damn!
i doubt that letter ever got PASSED that guy, i doubt the top men ever heard of it...

damn!
well i don't know what ells you got planned, saying that the battle may be lost but the war not over...

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

Okay, I wrote that editorial about 3 seconds after I read the letter......

Of course I was angered by the fact that Jumper and the staff of the WCESCRP, wrote a massive letter, explaining in detail as to why they should release the source code, and all he got back was a 5 sentence paragraph summed up as, "No, because I don't wanna."

The letter was indeed unprofessional, and rude because he obviously didn't want to put any time into writing a letter nearly as detailed as Jumpers.

I think I'll modify the editorial to make it a bit more clear on my opinions..

Mav out.

PS, sorry about that exclusive thing, however we were the first to post it.

Pedro... I don't know what to say, I didn't mean to sound like I was flaming the guy, thats why I modified my editorial. Just a wrong choice of words I guess.

[This message has been edited by Maverick_^ (edited October 05, 2000).]

Ah, shut up already Mav.
smile.gif
What do you want, do you want him to write a four page essay on why you can't have the source? He even took the time to address the key people by their first names. I think his reply was to the point and honest, and all you could hope to get.

You knew what the company policy on intellectual property was before you even started the project. So don't throw petty insults at Swofford because you forced him to spell it out for you again. And he couldn't the change policy even if he wanted to).

And by the way, Pedro, the fact that UE is trying to get a job done is what seperates it from us and Heart of the T.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have the utmost level of respect for almost all fan projects, UE included. I have the same problem getting projects done, so if I ever make fun of them I am also making fun of myself.

WCESRP is different. It was done poorly. Jumper treated us like he expected us to bow to him as our new God because he had set up a web site with a form and spent two years writing an e-mail. Although I think it's a shame that we didn't get the source, it's what we expected.

Your 'editorial' is just a testiment to how disgusting the project was -- David Swofford went out of his way to actually read your e-mail and explain why Origin couldn't release the source. Is there some reason you expected anything else? Or even this much? He didn't treat you like children and he was completely polite, he just didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. That's not unprofessional, it's how the world works. I've worked with David Swofford through the CIC in the past, and he is absolutely professional (despite being an Aggie...(G)). If you'll note, the man included his phone number in his .sig. I suggest that you contact him via that, if you'd like to discuss this 'professionally'.

[This message has been edited by Bandit LOAF (edited October 05, 2000).]

Well honestly LOAF when I took up UE I was a bit like that, I'd like to hope I've improved with age but who knows. Anyway I shouldn't really say why but I think UE is confirmed for a release now
smile.gif
I've had very few run ins with Jumper but I do know mav and despite being a bit exciteable he's ok.
Kris you're right, you've all done a terrific job with the CIC and you deserve congratulations but I'd be rather upset if it were the only successful venture by wing commanders fans.

There have been all kinds of successful WC ventures... Everything HCl did, TB's stuff, 3/4 of the stuff in the CIC's File page, and of course, my Claw Marks
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

TC I was talking large scale, but you're right (although the CIC files page is part of the CIC isn't it), there is, I think, also a few RPGs floating around. My point wasn't really about how many have been done already though, its what can still be done.

WCESRP is different. It was done poorly. Jumper treated us like he expected us to bow to him as our new God because he had set up a web site with a form and spent two years writing an e-mail.
I'm very much biased on this matter, since I worked on WCESCRP. Nonetheless, I really don't think it was done poorly. Yes, it took us three months to write the letter, but we had our reasons. We knew what the answer would be - NO. As Kris just said, OSI's company policy is no secret. What we were trying to do is to provide such good arguments that at the end of the day, David Swofford would have no explanation for the "no". Would he still say no? Most likely, but there was also a chance that if faced with such a situation, he would actually go and discuss this with the higher-ups. That was our only chance - to show them that this IS a good idea, that they really can benefit from this. Finding enough arguments for that does take time - perhaps it shouldn't have taken three months of time, but we were a fan project after all
wink2.gif

Also, I don't agree with what you said about David Swofford "going out of his way" to reply to us. Don't get me wrong though
smile.gif
. I most certainly do not think that he was unprofessional or rude, and I certainly do not feel angry about his reply - as you said, it's the way the world works. Still, he wasn't going out of his way, he was simply doing his job. Had he not bothered replying to our letter, that would have been unprofessional, don't you think? Besides, I genuinely believe that releasing the source code would have been as beneficial for Origin as for us, so I think that they had good reasons to read and consider what we said.

BTW, Maverick's editorial is not a testament to anything WCESCRP-related, because he had nothing to do with WCESCRP
smile.gif

TC says:
and of course, my Claw Marks
smile.gif
Your Claw Marks are great, but there seems to be a slight problem with page 16 and 17 - they're identical
smile.gif

Yes, the CIC's File Page is part of the CIC, but many of the files that are housed there are the result of a project undertaken by various people.

(Re: Pages 16 and 17... so they are)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Back