WCA-TV question

bw_dave

Spaceman
Well thanks to tyedyeboy's efforts above and beyond the call of duty, I've now watched all 13 of the WCA-TV episodes. This brings me to my question ... is that it? Is that all there will ever be? Is there a new series planned/being made?

There were a lot of themes and subplots which had only seemed to have just got going (Tolwyn being a dodgy character and so on), so surely it wouldn't end there would it? Please tell me no.

'Fraid that's it. The series was ok, but not wildly popular. It's been nearly five years or so now, though, so it's pretty much a given that unless hell gets very very cold, there will be no more.

Academy recieved remarkably high ratings for a cable show (a cable show in 1996, at least) -- unfortunately, twas being watched by teens and adults and not children, the target demographic.

Any hope of a second season (although one was considered) was dashed when USA made the descision to stop showing "childrens" programming.

There's a WCA press-kit at the CIC that I digitized, which gives you some idea of the future plots...

Thanks - I'll take a look at it. I didn't realise it was such an old show actually. I thought it was only a year or two old.

Oh well, thems the breaks :( Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Here's another question.

I've seen several other characters like 'Archer' Bowman and Gwen 'Payback' etc...

Some of them like Payback or Blizzard (from ep 3: The Most Delicate Instrument) are reffered as 'Terrans' but how come they don't like any race I've seen before?

Effects of five hundred years of space exploration?
Genetic drift?

Well, it could be random mutation, natural slection, or deliberate genetic engineering. Personally, I think that the variations we see are mostly superificial though, hence the fact that they're all still considered Terrans.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Academy recieved remarkably high ratings for a cable show (a cable show in 1996, at least) -- unfortunately, twas being watched by teens and adults and not children, the target demographic.

The show's content in many ways *was* geared towards teens and young adults than children. Many of the themes in the show such as the death of a major character (Blizzard), the destructive effects of war on people (Karnes, Archer) and the limits of how far you can go in war ("On Both Your Houses") are a heck of lot deeper than the kind of stuff you see in most kid's shows, where the good guys are good, the bad guys are evil and everything ends happily after.

Best, Raptor

Yeh I'd agree with that ... well lets face it, I have to make some excuse for the fact that an "adult" such as myself enjoyed the episodes :)

It would have been really cool if they'd continued on and loosely followed the story of the games. Would have been cool to see Maniac have his breakdown, and Tolwyn turn really bad!

I think you can find adult elements in most cartoons -- since they were, afterall, *made* by adults. :) Still, WCA was a very intelligent series... compared, for example, to USA's Moral Kombat -- which aired right after it.

As for the weird colored people... I don't think they're ever explained in the series -- but I always thought it was a nod to Niven's Known Space...

Moral Kombat??? :D

Wow...I didn't know Americans had gone THAT puritanical!

gees! :)

Does that make Rayden a goodie or a baddie?

Although Mortal Kombat may have *seemed* like an incredibly mature video game when we were eleven, in retrospect it's a really dumb kiddie game. :)

I dont think you'll ever find any adult elements in the Superfriends!:)

Maybe the weird colored people are a nod to Nickelodeon's Doug

Nickelodeon...I've thought that was the imagination of one ill European brain...that 'nice' TV-channel...But now I have to hear it exists nearly worldwide??? I am shocked...:D
Americans know Nickelodeon....ich fasse es nicht ( I am hardly able to believe)....

Nickelodeon has been a cable channel for children since I was little some 15 years ago. Its owned by MTV.

Well unless something changed in the last few years, which is possible since i havent really paid attention, Nickelodeon is owned by MTV Productions.

Back