WC5 keyboard & mouse lag in glide

T

tarpoon

hi,

I stumbled on this page more or less by accident and think its great that there is still such an active community for Wing Commander.

I downloaded the high res patch for WC5 (Prothecy) and it works quite well, I have two problems however.

In Direct3D I am missing crosshairs for some of my weapons.
As this seems to be a common problem I tried out the Zeckensack Glide Wrapper and the crosshairs are indeed shown.
There is however a 5 - 15 seconds lag between pressing a mouse or a keyboard button and the game reacting. The joystick reacts just fine and the mouse is moving smooth as usual.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and/or knows a solution?

My System Specs:
Windows XP Prof, SP2
Direct X 9c
Athlon 1800XP
Radeon 9600XT (catalyst driver about 4 months old)
1024 MB RAM
Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold

ps: I read on one thread about a fix for the crosshair problem in D3D but I couldn't find one on any website, does such a thing exist?

That's an odd one. Did you get the lag before installing the patch? I think the crosshairs thing has to do with the Radeon. I wonder if the lag might be caused by some sound effect loading problem. Maybe disable sound card hardware acceleration in the control panel and see how it goes.

After completly deledting any trace of any ATI driver from my PC and installing new drivers didn't fix the Crosshair problem in D3D i simply tried setting glide to 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024 and the keyboard problem was gone.

I must remember to try the easy things first before going for complicated solutions ;)

However, it would be interesting to know if the wrapper doesn't work at 1280x1024 generally, or if it is a local problem of my system.

Back