WC4 Mouse Problem

Triumphus

Rear Admiral
Hi guys. I searched extensively for this topic on here and couldn't find anything, so I hope it hasn't been addressed already.

I just installed my old copy of DOS Wing Commander 4 in Vista, got the 95 upgrade patch, and ran the game. In the movies, the parts where you select your choice of events, the mouse does not work and when you hit up on the keyboard it highlights the top choice and then immediatly goes back down to the bottom choice.

In the alt-o menu, the mouse cursor is constantly in the lower right corner of the screen, and will move slightly but there is absolutely no precision and it immediatly goes back down to the right corner if not forced away by drastic mouse moving.

It seems to work fine in flight but I want to be able to choose an option in the movies other than the lower one all the time, and also to change the options in the game and calibrate the joystick and such.

I have tried changing the control type from mouse to keyboard to joystick and it still does the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks.

-Triumphus

Even though you have it set to mouse control inflight, do you have any joysticks or gamepads plugged in? It sounds like a calibration issue. Make sure any other game controlers that are plugged in are calibrated in windows itself.

Also, because you didn't say so I have to ask if you applied the compatability mode to the WC4 executable.

Hi thanks for responding.

I did use win/95 compatibility mode and I do have a joystick plugged in. Strange thing is, in flight the mouse works fine. Only in the menu and the movies does it screw up. Weird.

Is there a way for me to calibrate the joystick for the game externally? The calibrate button in the game doesn't seem to do much.

Thanks.

Hi thanks for responding.

I did use win/95 compatibility mode and I do have a joystick plugged in. Strange thing is, in flight the mouse works fine. Only in the menu and the movies does it screw up. Weird.

Is there a way for me to calibrate the joystick for the game externally? The calibrate button in the game doesn't seem to do much.

Thanks.

If you are not using the joystick, you could unplug it while playing. Otherwise you have to go to the control panel in Windows and select game controlers. YOu should be able to calibrate the stick there.

What kind of stick is it? I believe there is also a joystick patch for WC4 that might fix issues with specific brands/models of sticks that you could try.

It's a Saitek X45. Kinda new stick. I tried using it, but it won't calibrate. Any idea how to get it to calibrate in the game? For some reason, when I run the calibration in the install under DOS box, it locks up the program. I'd be fine with using the stick if I can get it to work...

It's a Saitek X45. Kinda new stick. I tried using it, but it won't calibrate. Any idea how to get it to calibrate in the game? For some reason, when I run the calibration in the install under DOS box, it locks up the program. I'd be fine with using the stick if I can get it to work...

If you are using the win95 patch with the compatability set, you do not calibrate the stick in-game. And whether you are using dosbox or the Win95 version you still have to make sure the stick is calibrated in windows itself. *Before* launching the game, go to the start menu, then control panel, and then game controlers. Click on the appropriate joystick in the list and click properties. You should be able to calibrate the stick no matter what model/make it is.

Back