WC4 in XP

J

Jonkyb

I'm trying to run WC4 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. I'm using the Windows 95 upgrade, but the game doesn't seem to detect my joystick, a USB Microsoft Precision Pro. The game works fine otherwise, i can play with the keyboard and mouse, but playing a WC game like that is terrible. Is there anyway to get my joystick to work without having to buy a new one? The joystick works fine in Prophecy.

Oh by the way, I'm running windows XP Home Edition, but i'm playing WC4 in Win95 compatibility mode.

I kind of doubt that WC4 was made with USB-joysticks in mind. (Translates to: A USB-joystick will most likely never work with WC4. So you don't need a NEW one, hehe! :) Unless I'm wrong, of course.) Back when I used a Win95-machine (a lovely P100... *NOSTALGIA*), a gameport joystick worked.

I don't recall having any problems with my USB joystick.

Anyway, Jonky, what file system is your hard drive using? Is it NTFS or FAT32?

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I don't recall having any problems with my USB joystick.

Anyway, Jonky, what file system is your hard drive using? Is it NTFS or FAT32?

Hmm, that's interesting. I remember recently telling someone that I thought NTFS caused problems with some games (I assume that's where you're going), but that person insisted such was not the case.

Oh, and I don't know about USB joysticks, but I'm using a gameport digital joystick with WC4 with the W95 executable and it works just fine. So you won't have a problem from that end (all USB, and for that matter all recent joysticks, are digital).

Actually, if he's using FAT32, I was going to suggest that he use a boot-disk and install the game from DOS. Then he could apply the Windows 95 patch in XP.

How do you find out what the file system is? Also, I've already installed the win95 patch. I have the exact same problem in some of my other games. TIE Fighter Collector's Edition won't detect my joystick and then won't even let me start the game without insisting that I need a joystick to play the game. X-Wing Alliance does the same thing, except in the autoplay menu, it detects the joystick, but when i go to start the game it yells at me for not having a joystick. These two games in particular are pissing me off, since they wouldn't work on my old computer for some kind of bull hardware conflict, and now they won't work on my new computer..... Strangely enough, Rogue Squadron, Prophecy, and Battlezone II detect my joystick just fine.

Shit.

I don't recall coming across any boot-disks for NTFS systems (and I'm not sure if they even exist), so I guess my method of solving this problem won't work for you.

I've got the same problem. I run XP but my joystick works in prophecy and secret ops and WC3 in my KS, but in WC1&2 the cursor goes and hides as soon as I get to pick to start Vega campaign and in WC4 it's like my joystick isn't even there. Oh by the way, I use a Blackhawk digital. So I think we're both SOL.

C-ya

Back