WC4 = hard?!

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
I took a nostalgic look back at reviews of WC4, and I see alot of people called it hard. I was in shock. WC4 was one of the easiest games i've played. I beat it in 2 days for PSX, I remember that because my local video game rental store rents games for 3 days, and I returned it on the second day for a free rental. I never even got a bad ending. Am I just that damn good, or are people nuts who called it hard?

Well it depends on which difficulty level you played it and if there any differences towards the PC version. It was indeed more difficult than WC3, mainly because you did not fight inferior technology, as the Kilrathi had, but ships that were equal or superior to your ship.
Of course there is still the possiblity that you ARE that damn good. ;)

Mekt-Hakkikt: The roman Emporer Commodus never said your quote, your quote should read "Am I not merciful" Jaoquim Phoenix Gladiator, or The actor playing Commodus in Gladiator. Taking a quote from a movie and attributing it to a real person is just wrong

The psx version, on the hardest difficulty , is still considerably easier then, the pc version on default [ace]. Which is of course no were near as hard as the pc version on crazy or nightmare .

Originally posted by Napoleon
Mekt-Hakkikt: The roman Emporer Commodus never said your quote, your quote should read "Am I not merciful" Jaoquim Phoenix Gladiator, or The actor playing Commodus in Gladiator. Taking a quote from a movie and attributing it to a real person is just wrong
Oh sorry...

I personally have found the Ace level of WCIV to be infuriating. One missile blows your ship to bits, unless you're in a Dragon and it hits the right spot. In which case, two missiles blows you to bits.

My problem isn't with missiles that do their job, it's with shields and armor that don't do theirs.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
I personally have found the Ace level of WCIV to be infuriating. One missile blows your ship to bits, unless you're in a Dragon and it hits the right spot. In which case, two missiles blows you to bits.

My problem isn't with missiles that do their job, it's with shields and armor that don't do theirs.

I agree!

I grew really tired of flying that reconnaissance mission, where you have to take pix on that planet, over and over again, because the Banshees, and then the Vindicators + the missile batteries kept harrassing me!!

I had to switch to Rookie to be able to complete the mission!
Some might say I'm a wimp, but hell!! It's not that easy dogfighting 1 against 4 that are bombarding you with missiles... :mad:

Wimp! :D , well actually it's probably for the best, you find it that way. Once you get good enough at WcIv that you start playing on crazy or nightmare few other spacesims seem hard enough. As for that priticular mission, take out the banshees with your guns and as many decoys as you need. Once you reach the planet you'll have them all back. Afterburn to missile batteries a couple of shots should take out each. Then use your missiles on the vindicators.

Oh yeah, remember that old cliche'd move where your about to get hit by a missile, pull a hard turn and release decoys, and it misses then has to regain lock? Works great if you can stay enough to the ground that the missiles cant turn around and regain lock before they impact...

Originally posted by Dekkar
Wimp! :D , well actually it's probably for the best, you find it that way. Once you get good enough at WcIv that you start playing on crazy or nightmare few other spacesims seem hard enough. As for that priticular mission, take out the banshees with your guns and as many decoys as you need. Once you reach the planet you'll have them all back. Afterburn to missile batteries a couple of shots should take out each. Then use your missiles on the vindicators.

Don't you think, that is a bit unrealistic? I mean, to have your decoys magically replinish themselves. Or, is that done because the designers knew that you would need them?

Originally posted by mpanty
Originally posted by Saturnyne

I agree!

I grew really tired of flying that reconnaissance mission, where you have to take pix on that planet, over and over again, because the Banshees, and then the Vindicators + the missile batteries kept harrassing me!!

I had to switch to Rookie to be able to complete the mission!
Some might say I'm a wimp, but hell!! It's not that easy dogfighting 1 against 4 that are bombarding you with missiles... :mad:

That recon mission did present a challenge, but I simply hit afterburners while switching to gun cam and was able to get all 10 pics at each site without taking heavy fire at all! I even outran the Vindicators and Banshees! I didnt have to fire a single shot!! Just whizzed right by saying.."Smile, your on BlairCam" :D

RFBurns

Was that mission really so hard? I will have to replay it.
But I think WC4 still suffered from the bugs that "Hard" was easier than "Ace".

Originally posted by RFBurns
That recon mission did present a challenge, but I simply hit afterburners while switching to gun cam and was able to get all 10 pics at each site without taking heavy fire at all! I even outran the Vindicators and Banshees! I didnt have to fire a single shot!! Just whizzed right by saying.."Smile, you're on BlairCam"
Hey, doesn't sound like a bad tactic... after all, Eisen himself says "We're more interested in data than kills, Colonel..." or something of the kind... :)

Another thing to add to my "REASONS to play The Price of Freedom again" list... :D

Yep, I think its good reasons to "Play it again Sam!" :)

The tactic worked the first time for me, although the first time I did that I took some fire but still completed the mission without fireing a single shot back, all the other times I knew when to turn to avoid their fire. Give it a try! Good luck pilot!! Oh and one more thing, to avoid the missles from the ground batteries, simply zig zag around the buildings! More often than not, their missles will strike their own buildings or maybe even one of their fighters trying to chase you!! You can also use the terrain (small mountians and caverns) to "duck" incomming missles. This was most effective against those darn missle batteries.

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-14-2001 at 18:47]

Ok, thanx for the advice :), but...
Originally posted by RFBurns
(...) More often than not, their missiles will strike (...) even one of their fighters trying to chase you!! (...)
...what are the odds of THAT happening?.. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Hey mpanty, maybe you could post this list of yours, no?

You know Zor, you've actually given me thought to REALLY write such a list, now... :)

Oh realy? How so? If you don't mind me asking. :)

OH! OH! OH! Idea: Why don't we write a top one million reasons why EA/OSI should re-release WC?

Oh well, probably won't work.:(

Back