Wc4 Dvd

Daggorath

Spaceman
Hello. There are a couple of things that I was wondering about this DVD version of the game. First, I heard there are two different versions(builds) of the game. One came in a white paper sleeve and the other in a cardboard one. What are the differences? Is one version better than the other?

Second, I live in Canada and I'm wondering if I should get a copy of the game located in another country, for example, United Kingdom. Should I be concerned about NTSC/PAL compatibility?

Thank you in advance.

From a collector's point of view, grab copies from around the globe if you can ;) It's up to you though.

Daggorath said:
Hello. There are a couple of things that I was wondering about this DVD version of the game. First, I heard there are two different versions(builds) of the game. One came in a white paper sleeve and the other in a cardboard one. What are the differences? Is one version better than the other?

Second, I live in Canada and I'm wondering if I should get a copy of the game located in another country, for example, United Kingdom. Should I be concerned about NTSC/PAL compatibility?

Thank you in advance.

Doesn't really make a difference. My US copy works here in Australia.

Daggorath said:
I heard there are two different versions(builds) of the game. One came in a white paper sleeve and the other in a cardboard one. What are the differences? Is one version better than the other?

The DVD'd arent really region specific as far as I know. There are two different versions though so beware (and it has nothing to do with the envelopes)
The one you are interested in is a double-sided DVD that came in Creatives DXR DVD drive packages. (mpeg2 harware decoder card and dvd-rom). It has the DVD quality movies (Otherwise the game plays the same as the Regular CD version. Note that it is already the win9x version) These came both in little white envelopes and nifty cardboard cases apparently. But you will need Gulikoza's Patch to play it properly in XP (or win9x) without the DXR card. Should be in the CIC's files section. Aparently you are partly right though. There are some numbers on the inner ring of the DVD indicating the "build" but the only difference that makes seems to be that it determines which version of The patch you use. ( Nothing to do with regions)

However there is a single sided DVD out there that is just the 6 CDS on one disk.... No high quality videos.

Pc-DVDs have no relation to regions or TV systems, for goodnes' sake. Regular movie DVDs still ahve region blockage in PCs, but not SOFTWARE in a DVD-ROM. and even DVD movies have no trouble with PAL-NTSC shit, because the monitor is neither.

Edfilho said:
and even DVD movies have no trouble with PAL-NTSC shit, because the monitor is neither.
I used to play that one with the DXR connected to the TV, and the audio connected to... well... the soundsystem. It was a home-theater-like system (not for home-theater, but it played that role pretty well).

Quite an experience.

So... PAL-NTSC did matter. The card I had had a Pal-B output - ugly as hell... I had to go TV-hunting to find one that supported Pal-B, since here we have Pal-N mostly and NTSC for compatibility - but no Pal-B, and although the card didn't do it, if the output upscaled from NTSC's resolution to PAL (which is higher for PAL), serious artifacts could result.

Anyway, AFAIK, all versions of the game use NTSC. The just didn't bother with standards, because it was meant to be played on the computer monitor.

klauss said:
I used to play that one with the DXR connected to the TV, and the audio connected to... well... the soundsystem. It was a home-theater-like system (not for home-theater, but it played that role pretty well).

Quite an experience.

So... PAL-NTSC did matter. The card I had had a Pal-B output - ugly as hell... I had to go TV-hunting to find one that supported Pal-B, since here we have Pal-N mostly and NTSC for compatibility - but no Pal-B, and although the card didn't do it, if the output upscaled from NTSC's resolution to PAL (which is higher for PAL), serious artifacts could result.

Anyway, AFAIK, all versions of the game use NTSC. The just didn't bother with standards, because it was meant to be played on the computer monitor.

It doesn't matter anyway, man. Even if the CARD has TV output, that has NOTHING to do with the DVD-ROM disc. The video parts of a DVD-ROM game are not related to any tv standards. The software and hardware codecs do all the conversion, IF you have a TV out. So if you buy a PC game on DVD-ROM, not matter how many videos it has, it will play on ANY computer+monitor setup in the entire world.

Therefore, all versions of the game use WHATEVER TV SYSTEM YOUR CARD uses. If have a VGA card with Pal-M output, it will play fine on any Pal-M TV. If I play the EXACT same game on a VGA card with NTSC output, it will play fine on any NTSC TV. If you have a sucky Pal-WRHAN card, you are out of luck. But I repeat, that has NOTHING to do with the DVD-ROM, unlike regular movie DVDs. and I also repeat, if you are using a normal VGA monitor, than there is no tv region system involved at all.

Of course, whenever you use a TV as monitor, you will have a SERIOUS drop in resolution, even if the colors look better, and the picture is bigger. Luckily, my 6600Gt has HDTV resolution support, so when I get a HDTV-ready tv set, I'll be a happy guy.

Edfilho: It came out without propper emphasis - I was referring to the required upscaling. My card didn't upscale, and cheated the TV set into using Pal-B with NTSC resolution (and it worked). But if a card tried to upscale (like current videocards, which try to follow the standard to-the-letter), then the upscaling would decrease picture quality quite noticeably. (because of the odd relationship)

Obviously that's a much different circumstance than just playing DVD-ROMs on your computer like Ed was initially talking about.

Back