WC4 DVD problem, No video or sound in Movies

DXMCI works great for me, what problems are you having?

I've tried it a couple different ways, but they still leave plenty of possible problems open; I've got it running but with no sound or video in sequence (have to hit escape to skip to the first FMV-choice, which I can hear Blair say, but I only have a black screen), and then it skips to the faux-fight with Maniac before it runs at a crawl--this is, however, on a fully modern Athlon 64, 2GB, WinXP system with only Win95 compatibility enabled, no DosBox or anything.
On a contemporary system, an Intel 200Mhz Pentium, it has trouble reading a file (can't remember what it is right now, I'll see if I can pull it up in a day or two again) and won't load...I've tried both double-sided DVD copies I've got, and I think that one may be too scratched, but I'm getting the same errors with both.
Ugh. It's been quite a while since I've tried to get it to run, but I'll think I'll take a concerted crack at it in the soon-time.

I've tried it a couple different ways, but they still leave plenty of possible problems open; I've got it running but with no sound or video in sequence (have to hit escape to skip to the first FMV-choice, which I can hear Blair say, but I only have a black screen), and then it skips to the faux-fight with Maniac before it runs at a crawl--this is, however, on a fully modern Athlon 64, 2GB, WinXP system with only Win95 compatibility enabled, no DosBox or anything.
On a contemporary system, an Intel 200Mhz Pentium, it has trouble reading a file (can't remember what it is right now, I'll see if I can pull it up in a day or two again) and won't load...I've tried both double-sided DVD copies I've got, and I think that one may be too scratched, but I'm getting the same errors with both.
Ugh. It's been quite a while since I've tried to get it to run, but I'll think I'll take a concerted crack at it in the soon-time.

Dosbox won't matter anyway as the DVD is the windows version. Are you trying to use the DVD video patch and this is giving you the error? Do you by any chance have any Cyberlink DVD software installed like PowerDVD?

Alright, built a new dual-boot Win98/Win2k machine last night to test both scenarios. It seems that I'm getting the same error for both OSes, though.
I install the game as normal and put the dxmci files into the wc4dvd directory. When I try to start the game, I get a black screen with the error "Error Rendering file! (0x80040200)" then I click the okay button (all I'm given), get another error "Error loading video!" I click okay, and then the message "Missing movie D:\vob\sc_0010a.vob" after which I can select the Help-Him-Out or Straighten-Him-Out choices, which I *can* hear narrated.
This continues with the same errors only with different .vob file codes, like sc_0010b.vob or sc_0010f.vob after I select the decisions in-between the cutscenes. The spaceflight plays fine, and if I restart the game I get the save/load/start new options screen. Help!
Edit: system specs
Asus p4c800-e motherboard
Pentium 4 3Ghz proc (socket 478)
512mb DDR
C: drive is Win98
D: drive is a brand-new Philips DVD drive
E: drive is Win2K
No Cyberlink software, only drivers and game loaded up.

Alright, I've monkeyed around a little more with the game, and it seems that the sticking point is that on *both* of my copies of WC4 (both double-sided DVDs) it gives me the "Error Rendering file! (0x80030200)" message on both my new system and my main WinXP system, even after both are set up and patched properly. It then gives me the same "Error loading video!" error each time, and then tells me a video file which it gives the correct path to doesn't exist; ie "Missing movie: d:\vob\sc_8000a.vob".
Also, the screens where you choose where you move on the ship work, but move very, very slowly, including moving the cursor--and, of course, the transitions result in the error sequence. I get the exact same problems from both of my DVD copies.
I doubt that both of my DVD copies are bad, can you just see me missing something obvious?

Alright, I've monkeyed around a little more with the game, and it seems that the sticking point is that on *both* of my copies of WC4 (both double-sided DVDs) it gives me the "Error Rendering file! (0x80030200)" message on both my new system and my main WinXP system, even after both are set up and patched properly. It then gives me the same "Error loading video!" error each time, and then tells me a video file which it gives the correct path to doesn't exist; ie "Missing movie: d:\vob\sc_8000a.vob".
Also, the screens where you choose where you move on the ship work, but move very, very slowly, including moving the cursor--and, of course, the transitions result in the error sequence. I get the exact same problems from both of my DVD copies.
I doubt that both of my DVD copies are bad, can you just see me missing something obvious?

I noticed that you didn't say what kind of video card you have or what driver version you are running.

Also, does running register.bat after aplying the patch help any? And you did run the compatabiliity mode on the new install? Also Gulikoza has a few different versions of the DVD patch. Check your disk serial number and compare it to his patch files as it could be that you downloaded the wrong one.

Windows does not provide mpeg2 or ac3 decoders! You have to install them separately. On a clean system, you have to install at least mpeg2dec and ac3dec to get the game working (see links on my page). It's that simple - no codecs, no sound or video :)
(use w2k rather then win98)

Ha, *finally* got it running; I ended up having to use the new 1.3 version of dxmci to force the game to look at the DVD drive for the videos (it kept giving me the missing movie error even after I had the mpeg2 and ac3 filters installed), but we're on--thanks much guys!

Back