WC4 DVD: Got my USB joystick working in XP

Vesper

Spaceman
I just learned of the user made MCI drivers, and was happy to get WC4DVD running in XP with movies. Awesome. I actually have a DXR2, but didn't really want to go through the hassle of getting that working on a modern machine.

Anyway... I ran into a problem getting my USB joystick to work (MS Force Feedback 2). I finally stumbled onto the solution and thought I should share it in case people didn't know about this:

1) Go to Control Panel / Game Controllers
2) Click "Advanced"
3) Set "Preferred Device" to your USB joystick. (This defaults to None).

That's it. After I did that, the joystick worked immediately in the game.. Woo!

Problem with USB joystick in WC4DVD

Well, WC1,2 and Priv works pretty good in Dosbox after a little tweaking, now is time for WC4DVD.
I downloaded the patches and i can see the movies, missions works pretty good; teh problem is the joystick (Saitek ST90 USB), for some reason it isn't recognized by the game, the stick works pretty good with other games in XP and appears in the control panel. (WC4 joystick patch do nothing)

Tried WC1 KS version and have the same problem, don't know if the problem is the ''Compatibilty with Win 98'' (i'm at work now so i can't try) or WC games in XP at al, i guess that should try WC4 CD to see if it works good with DOSBOX (i guess it will work).

----------------------

Edit: Merged this post from its original thread into this one. -ChrisReid

You may not believe this but I wasn't able to get my usb joystick to work until I switched to NT mode. ~~~! I hope that helps some people out. I'm running Windows XP SP3 and I have gulikoza's 2nd update patch and the extra mpeg codec. I might try a higher patch because some of the video is choppy, but it works!

Back