Wc3

Wake

Spaceman
Nevermind all the previous edits...the only problem I'm having now is with the damn Joystick. The number jump up to 20000 when calibrating my joystick making it impossible to do so. How do I fix that?

I've even downloaded the wc3joy.exe thing and it's still going nuts...I have no idea what to do but have solved most of my problems myself already. Any help is appreciated.

Are you using an old joystick or a spiffy new usb one?

Yeah that might be the problem right there. The game was never designed to work with usb joysticks. I have an old analog so I don't know what others are doing to fix this

I'm not sure what version of Wing Commander 3 we're talking about. Kilrathi Saga or DOS? In what operating system? Is this with DOSBox?

It could be the USB joystick then, though DOSBox should be addressing that. Can you tell if the stick works in other games or is being detected by DOSBox? How fast is your computer? WC3 needs a very powerful system to emulate via DOSBox.

DosBox does in fact detect my joystick and I'm running a 3.2ghz machine with 1gig of ram. I don't have any other games to test the joystick in DosBox however.

I have the same problem. Runs great in Privateer, but freaks in Armada and WC3. I have a MS Force Feedback 2, USB joystick as well.

Armada will not work with any joysticks in DOSBox until you use HCl's Armada DOSBox Joystick Patch. Since so few people have computers fast enough to run WC3 in DOSBox, it might be similar there, but we just haven't identified that as a problem yet.

I ran a few tests after noticing this topic and have a couple of suggestions. DosBox users should definitely be using the alternate joystick routine available at the CIC Files section (wc3joy.exe). It is very, very similar to the routine i patched armada with, and should fix things for you. Be sure to delete joy0.dat after placing the DLL on c:\wc3 to force the game to recalibrate the joystick with the new routine. After doing this, my WC3 joystick problems within DosBox went away.

Also, unlike Armada, WC3 apparently works very well with DosBox's dynamic CPU core :) Be sure to take advantage of it, since it should provide a noticeable speed increase. The game actually became playable enough for me to play through the first mission without much difficulty, even on my lowly Athlon 1.4 Ghz (currently underclocked to 1.2 Ghz due to overheating)

actually, I have a question - I have WC3 KS version running (just about), but it randomly crashes, usually on cutscenes - especially just after landing etc. so i often dont get to save game (which is, to put it mildly, annoying).

I also have the original WC3, would it actually be more stable and run fast enough if I installed that and ran it through dosbox instead of using the win9x version from Kilrathi Saga?

i have a P4 3.2Ghz with 1GB RAM and a 6800GT.

any help is much appreciated.

PS - is it actually possible to install WC3 Dos version from the KS discs? as it will take me a while to find my original WC3 CD's.

HCl said:
Also, unlike Armada, WC3 apparently works very well with DosBox's dynamic CPU core :) Be sure to take advantage of it, since it should provide a noticeable speed increase. The game actually became playable enough for me to play through the first mission without much difficulty, even on my lowly Athlon 1.4 Ghz (currently underclocked to 1.2 Ghz due to overheating)

Oh wow, that could be an extremely useful tip for us.

baphomet_irl said:
I also have the original WC3, would it actually be more stable and run fast enough if I installed that and ran it through dosbox instead of using the win9x version from Kilrathi Saga?

i have a P4 3.2Ghz with 1GB RAM and a 6800GT.

any help is much appreciated.

PS - is it actually possible to install WC3 Dos version from the KS discs? as it will take me a while to find my original WC3 CD's.

Nope. Once KS is installed, you can (sort of) use the DOS discs, but you need the DOS discs to install the DOS WC3. Anyhow, as HCl noted above, if you enable the dynamic CPU core in the DOSBox config, it should be very playable. For the most part, the DOS versions of WC games in DOSBox are more stable than the Kilrathi Saga versions in XP, so it's definitely worth a try.

ChrisReid said:
Oh wow, that could be an extremely useful tip for us.

Nope. Once KS is installed, you can (sort of) use the DOS discs, but you need the DOS discs to install the DOS WC3. Anyhow, as HCl noted above, if you enable the dynamic CPU core in the DOSBox config, it should be very playable. For the most part, the DOS versions of WC games in DOSBox are more stable than the Kilrathi Saga versions in XP, so it's definitely worth a try.

great :)

ill have to search my parents house for that then :)

cool, hopefully if it runs fast enough, and I use my Saitek SST keyboard command thingamajig, it should be a brilliant WC experience - tbh I wont be doing it for a while as Im currently not doing too well in WC SM1 ~~~

Install Help

I'm trying to load heart of the tiger onto a win 98 comp but i dont have the install commands. Can someone help?

Back