WC3 Question

Bloodspray

Spaceman
I've searched this forum and the tech forum and haven't seen an answer, so I apologize if it's been discussed a million times - I looked for old threads but didn't see my answer.

I can't seem to "win" Ariel 3. I had trouble with the skip missile, so I tried the land early trick. That took me to Delius, which, according to the CIC game guide, is where I should go after losing Ariel 2, not 3.

Once, when I tried that trick, I hit auto and auto'ed to the next nav. I proceeded to beat all the stealth fighters, and kill the skip missile (but the wingman always ejects at this nav, they ignore fighters and get killed a cross fire with the cap ship), and get clearance to land....and still end up in Delius.

Do I need to kill the cap ship? Does the wingman have to remain flying when it's all said and done? :confused:

Also not sure if this should be in the tech forum, but the game runs, so I didn't think it was a technical question.

I mentioned that I did. ;)

After I killed all enemies except for the Kilrathi Corvette (skip missile included), I landed on the Victory, and we went off to Delius. So it seems there is something more required than merely keeping the Victory alive. :/

Is it possible that because of actions on a previous mission that you are destined to Delius? It's been a really long time since I've played wc3 but that could be a reason

I'm not sure. You guys are the experts. :D

The Game Guide here at the CIC says that the only way to be at Ariel 3 is to have won Ariel 1 and 2. :::shrug:::

Yikes, I'm sorry. :p
Well... It's been a long time... Chris Reid would be a good person to answer that. Are you sure you got the previous series missions right? did you fullfill ALL mission objectives? MAYBE you MUST kill the Cap Ship. I know I always did.

"Objectives: Patrol Nebula and ensure no Kilrathi survive"

maybe you've let one fighter slip away in Ariel 2

"Remember if even one Kilrathi ship survives, the mission will fail."
maybe you've done that in the first mission

but i believe that you then also fail this "campaign", you've got to nail everyone of them (god i love that boy's spunk!!!)

it's possible that you've missed a corvette, maybe you need to nail all of them too

Thanks for the help guys.

I figured leaving that last corvette in A3 would be ok since we were out of the nebula, already known about, and getting the hell outta dodge anyway.

I'll try it again and take the corvette out and see. If I still go to D1, then I'll just go back and do all the Ariels again (maybe).

It's been so long since I last played WC3 that I don't remember much of it at all either. lol (every now and then I break out the series and play the entire thing from WC1 to WCP with all add on packs. :cool: )

Bloodspray said:
Once, when I tried that trick, I hit auto and auto'ed to the next nav. I proceeded to beat all the stealth fighters, and kill the skip missile (but the wingman always ejects at this nav, they ignore fighters and get killed a cross fire with the cap ship), and get clearance to land....and still end up in Delius.

Hmm.. Are you getting a message that the Victory has reached the jump point yet? You might have to physically sit in space and wait for the Victory to travel to the specified point in space to satisfy the winning conditions. It might let you land earlier, but even if all the fighters are cleared, that might not be counting as a win.

That surelly could be the problem.

Hey, Chris, what was the series where you attack a Kilrathi asteroid base in WC3?

Hmm, that's an interesting thought too. That would almost certainly necessitate killing the cap ship anyway. Ok, hopefully that'll do the trick for me. I hope I have time tonight to find out. :)

Well.....this is a real 'doh!' moment. All I had to do was destroy that last corvette and I heard "mission objectives accomplished". :eek:

I thought that because we were already known about, and out of the nebula, and on our way out anyway, it didn't matter if we got them all or not. Apparently it still did. lol

Hey, why is a carrier less of a challenge to kill than a corvette? Even without flying inside.

I mean, in the first place, what's a carrier doing outside of a battle group, but, even with that, it should be bristling with defenses - missiles out the yin-yang, CWIS equivalents, etc, etc. It should be near certain death to get in close enough to one to do any damage. Even without the BG. I never understood that.

Would be nice to see one of the mods redo the whole thing (or even pick up and go in a new direction) with full blown realism. But I'm rambling now..... lol

Ok, now I'm on the third Kilrah leg, I get the T-Bomb, head to the first 2 nav points and blast everything. At nav 3 I'm finding Hobbes, a few Paktahns, and infinite waves of Sorthaks.

It doesn't match the game guide at all. I've tried everything I can think of and am really getting frustrated by this. If I enter nav 3 cloaked and don't kill Hobbes, then I hit the nav point, and nothing happens. Everyone is hanging around so I can't autopilot. And there is no way to set a nav 4 on the nav map. Leaving does no good because I just come back to it again, and, they follow me even when I'm cloaked, they just don't shoot at me.

Killing Hobbes then leads me into infinite waves of Sorthaks. So I'm stuck no matter what I do. :/ Is there some trick to this? Was there something I needed to do in either of the first 2 legs?

At the nav point where you encounter the Strakha ace (Stalker, IIRC), you have to send all of your surviving wingmen home, then cloak before autopiloting to the next nav point.

After that, you should be good to go. I personally recommend sneaking up behind Hobbes first then decloak to pop him (for those who didn't cap him earlier), as he's always seemed to be a bigger threat, to me, even though on paper the Bloodfang is the superior fighter of the two.

I flew that whole mission without any wingmen as I didn't want them to die off.

There is no nav 4 that I can see. There is also no bloodfang, and no Strakha ace that I recall either. Just Hobbes in a Thunderbolt, a couple of Paktahns and a bunch of Sorthaks.

I have gone from nav 2 to nav 3 under cloak, but then I reach the nav point and there is nothing more I can do. So I decloak, get attacked with missles impossibly quickly (it seems that at least) and proceed to deal with Hobbes, the Paktahns, then hit the infinite loop of Sorthak spawns. :(

You need to use the cloak before going to nav 4, not 3. If you don't you get unlimited waves of fighters thrown at you.

And therein lies the rub - how to not get unlimited waves of fighters at nav 3? :/

I tried the cloak to see if I could just bypass them, but no such luck.

Back