WC3 on WINXP SP2, 100% working solution

Angelli

Spaceman
Sorry for new thread, but this is important.

I found out the best solution for WC3 full sound and speed playing:

1. Download VDMsound's latest beta from http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ndldownload.php?filename=VDMSound2.1.0.exe and install it.

2. Copy WC3.EXE from your cd to c:\WC3\

3. In this very same dir make file called WC3.vlp than edit it and paste:
Code:
[program]
workdir=d:\
params=
executable=C:\WC3\WC3.EXE
[vdms.sb.dsp]
IRQ=5
[winnt.storage]
useCDROM=yes

where d:\ is your cd-rom letter

4. Save this file and run it (and use it for running WC3 ever after).

5. In music setup choose MPU-401 General MIDI

6. In sound setup choose sb16 220 irq=5 dma low=1 dma hi=5

7. Save, run and enjoy (and use DOX-BOX only for 2D games :))!!!

is this another way for WC3 to work on xp without any glitches or tricky problems...? and why a general MIDI sound? do you still have to use DOSBOX?

Don said:
is this another way for WC3 to work on xp without any glitches or tricky problems...?

The title of this thread is "WC3 on WINXP SP2, 100% working solution."

Don said:
and why a general MIDI sound?

Because WC3 uses MIDI sound.

Don said:
do you still have to use DOSBOX?

His last thing says "and use DOX-BOX only for 2D games." While I don't agree with that, it makes it clear that this solution doesn't involve DOSBox.

This kind of sounds stupid, but I've copied the WC3.exe, but what are some specific directions to *make* a .vlp file?

Seems to work better than my previous attempts at VDMSound. Has anyone thought of booting from a USB Flash Drive to run WC3 in a modern environment?

i tried this but when i run the the file as instructed it goes to dos, tries to load a dll. then says a bad filename in some temp directory...

Chicken, I'm an old DOS guy, so I'd say just go to the directory you installed WC3 and type copy con wc3.vlp <ENTER>. Then you just enter it line by line. When you are finshed, push F6 then enter. You could also use edlin, edit, notepad, etc.

Lorien, you could boot from a flash drive, but there are some problems. You'd need a sound card that had DOS drivers and a motherboard capable of booting to a USB flash drive. There are DOS drivers for the SB Live cards. I used to use one of those for my most recent DOS computer.

Pigsonthewing, we'll need a bit more info than that. What DLL does it try to load? What error does it give? What temp directory? Do tell...

its ok i worked my away around it. although thanks for replying

Pigsonthewing: I had this error to. Try to run any other dos stuff and if the error also appears than you have some winxp dos emulation problem, and I know only one solution: reinstalation of windows (I made second installation, so I have one windowsxp for WC3 and WC4 only:) ).

Code:
16 bit ms-dos subsytem
c:\Doc&settings\username\prefs\temp\~VLP09C7.PIF
NTVDM CPU: illegal instruction
C5:8dff (blah blah) Hit close

It's something like that, isn't it??

Angelli said:
Pigsonthewing: I had this error to. Try to run any other dos stuff and if the error also appears than you have some winxp dos emulation problem, and I know only one solution: reinstalation of windows (I made second installation, so I have one windowsxp for WC3 and WC4 only:) ).

Code:
16 bit ms-dos subsytem
c:\Doc&settings\username\prefs\temp\~VLP09C7.PIF
NTVDM CPU: illegal instruction
C5:8dff (blah blah) Hit close

It's something like that, isn't it??

well it didnt give me that extra stuff but it did give me a temp directory but the filename wasnt the same... but its all good i just went to command prompt and went to my kilrathi saga\wc3 and then typed wc3w.exe -no_interlace and it solved all of my problems. thanks for replying though :D

Angelli said:
Sorry for new thread, but this is important.

I found out the best solution for WC3 full sound and speed playing:

1. Download VDMsound's latest beta from http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ndldownload.php?filename=VDMSound2.1.0.exe and install it.

2. Copy WC3.EXE from your cd to c:\WC3\

3. In this very same dir make file called WC3.vlp than edit it and paste:
Code:
[program]
workdir=d:\
params=
executable=C:\WC3\WC3.EXE
[vdms.sb.dsp]
IRQ=5
[winnt.storage]
useCDROM=yes

where d:\ is your cd-rom letter

4. Save this file and run it (and use it for running WC3 ever after).

5. In music setup choose MPU-401 General MIDI

6. In sound setup choose sb16 220 irq=5 dma low=1 dma hi=5

7. Save, run and enjoy (and use DOX-BOX only for 2D games :))!!!

what kind of file do we make??

Ok i did the file now, but it tells me that directory d:\ does not appear to exist....

how do i fix this?

mike sinidrax said:
Ok i did the file now, but it tells me that directory d:\ does not appear to exist....

how do i fix this?

If your cd-rom is not D: then replace D: with whatever drive letter contains you WC3 CD.

AD said:
If your cd-rom is not D: then replace D: with whatever drive letter contains you WC3 CD.

thats the thing, my disk drive is D

does it have anything to do with the fact that the game is installed on my c drive?

Your disk drive would be A or B. Do you mean a hard drive? It doesn't matter what drive any of this stuff is really. You just have to tell the program what everything is.

meh, i figured out the problem, i had to re-write to directions to C:\windows\wc3\wc3.exe since thats where the file was.

now is there any way to slow down the speed? it plays fine but i was just curious

Mike Sinidrax said:
meh, i figured out the problem, i had to re-write to directions to C:\windows\wc3\wc3.exe since thats where the file was.

now is there any way to slow down the speed? it plays fine but i was just curious

IIRC WC3 limits the speed anyway, so if it seems fast, it's *supposed* to be that way. (I think its only wc1, and P2 that don't but I've been wrong before). I almost never bothered with the arrow because I would only fly it at half speed anyway. It was so quick that I would always run into the fighters I was trailing. So at half speed the guns became a little weak.

Or are you refering to the movies?

the game,

however i messed up the movie set up and now its only a small bar on the top of my screen, how do i fix that so its fullscreen?

Back