WC3 Media Extraction for TC questions

It's gotta be possible, even if the IFF would need to be ripped to shreds in the process. Again, could you send me the IFF file to the address I mentioned earlier on?

Argh. I'm getting nowhere fast. I was hoping to decode the IFF using Thomas' IFF tools, but it just doesn't work. There's a range check error, and it crashes. I also tried decoding them in WCPPas. That works slightly better, in that it doesn't crash, but extraction of the images still seems pretty much impossible.

However, looking at the Armada cockpit files, I notice that the hands are not included in individual ship cockpits. Therefore, it's quite likely that the WC3 hands are also not included in the ship cockpit files. It may well be that this hand file will be easier to use, because it will probably be a pure graphics file - which the cockpit file is not. The cockpit file includes various other stuff, and that's probably why we've got all this trouble. Needless to say, if the hand could be extracted, then you'd only need one screenshot per ship to get the other parts of the cockpits.

Originally posted by Quarto
it's quite likely that the WC3 hands are also not included in the ship cockpit files. It may well be that this hand file will be easier to use, because it will probably be a pure graphics file - which the cockpit file is not. The cockpit file includes various other stuff, and that's probably why we've got all this trouble. Needless to say, if the hand could be extracted, then you'd only need one screenshot per ship to get the other parts of the cockpits.

I was going to say exactly this, but you where quicker Q. The hands probably are some separated animation, not a cockpit part...:D

My full copy of WC3 should be arriving today. Then I should hopefully be able to delve a little further into this with a full set of .iffs Thanks to everyone for your help! I'll let you know if I figure it out.

OK. I'm part-way there. Having received my full copy of WC3, and at LOAF's suggestion, using PCXDump, I've managed to snap all the shots I need of cockpits and carrier gameflow.

Now all I need are the COMMs, and any sounds I can manage to strip out.

In an effort to speed up my search, I need a little help with TRE extraction. TRE2List gets the job done, but it's very difficult to figure out what you've got until it's out, and it doesn't appear to have an EXTRACT ALL option. So I tried using TREMAN, but it always says that the tre does not exist, and asks if I would like to create a new one. I've tried entering it on the command-line with or without the .tre extension for the decompressing file, but with no luck. Any thoughts?

Thanks again! Everyone has been very helpful.

OK, I got all the sounds! Hooray again! Goldwave is very good at extracting all of them out.

Last stop - comm animations. Anybody know if these are in that wierd WC3 xanmovie-like format, or if they're something else?

Travis

Sounds

Is there any way you could put the sounds up on a web site.
I'd be interested in getting wav's of the weapon sound
effects.

If you've got WC3, just snag a copy of GoldWave (which is shareware) and open up the gameflow.tre file. You'll get one HUGE soundclip with all the weapon and flight sounds inside it. I don't have enough web space anywhere to put all of them up.

Travis

Originally posted by tbaldree
So I tried using TREMAN, but it always says that the tre does not exist, and asks if I would like to create a new one. I've tried entering it on the command-line with or without the .tre extension for the decompressing file, but with no luck. Any thoughts?

If you copied the tre from a CD it probably has the write-protected attribute set. Treman apparently can't open it in that case, so remove that flag.

Thomas

Got it. Works great now. I've extracted the IFFs and MATs from the tres. It looks like possibly the comm animations are stored as a sequence of .VGAs inside individual IFFs. Not quite sure yet. Have tried extracting these with the wc3/4 -> prophecy converter, just for grins, but with no luck. WCNav doesn't seem to recognize their existence either, but that may be because they're buried inside an IFF. Hmmm.

Try using ripper 5 from the files section. I have used it for a couple of years now. It usually gets the job done.

Back