WC3 Installation problem

Drusilla

Spaceman
Hi All, I'm quite new here but I really, REALLY need help and ASAP.

(I've got windows ME if this helps 'cause I don't know if it'll run on this system.)

I went to Install WC3 on my new computer but it didn't work because it told me that I don't have a SVGA or VGA compatable video card which i reckon is Bullshit but yeah... how do I go about fixing this 'cause I'm so confused... and I wanna get playing!

Thanks for any help :)

Ddrusilla

errr

Iiiiiii don't....... know........

(I never get shown how to find out these things.... they show me everything else but that....)

But I just found out that WC3 doesn't run on friggin Windows ME.... know how i can get 98' on my computer without putting on too much un-neccessary crap so I've still got some hard drive space? Or am I just gonna have to install it and just tell it to exclude all the extra crap it asks you if you'd like on the install wizard?

*sighs* this is so unfair. Maybe I can find out if I can make a patch to make it work on ME...

I'm not sure if you are allowed to create such a patch (does that infringe at all on the original copyright of the game?), but if you did, you would be a friggin' hero, man! If you know how to do such things, then I say go for it! As for winblows 98, you could always install it "over top" of your existing win me. that would mean, of course, that you would be stuck with win 98 instead, but I never really noticed that much of a difference between the two (except for the wonderful ability of booting into dos with win 98, a definite advantage if you play older games).

To check which video card you have, follow these steps:

-go to control panel
-double click on "System"
-you'll see a window with tabs across the top, click on "Device Manager"
-look for an option called "Display Adapter", there is your video card!

Now, there is a way to get dos back when using win me, but I don't have the link with the instructions and files necessary to get that working. However, I did that some months ago when I did have win me, and I had some problems. Not sure I recommend it.

I believe you can create all the patches for the game you want, since you bought it. :) Just don't expect product support if something hits the fan after installing it.

Still, many people have been aching to get WC3 to work on a Win2000 or ME system. You can either wait to see if this new version of Windows will let it work or if you'll need to grab Kilrathi Saga, which allows you to play WC1, 2 and 3 in Windows95 and up but it runs for about $150 easy. :(

Re: errr

Originally posted by Drusilla
Iiiiiii don't....... know........

But I just found out that WC3 doesn't run on friggin Windows ME.... know how i can get 98' on my computer without putting on too much un-neccessary crap so I've still got some hard drive space?

*sighs* this is so unfair. Maybe I can find out if I can make a patch to make it work on ME...

If you have Win 98 available to you, just trash ME & install W98 instead (or in addition to, if you wanna dual boot setup). This was addressed in a recent thread originally started by bahumat22. I'd tell you to do a search, but there's no more SEARCH function on the CZ these days. So, look it up manually by checking the General and Tech Support forums, and go back about 30 days. His post sez something in the title about
"Priv2...I have ME". Once you've gone thru that material, if you need any additional help, lemme know:)

Sound card/chip

Okay, going thru the post someone says "do you have a sound card or chip 'cause... blah blah... dos won't work on a chip."

I have a creative "sound blaster 16 Plug and Play (WDM)" so.. according to my sparse knowledge it's a sound CARD right? Oh crap, I got no idea what I'm checking for!!!

ARgh.

I'm such a novice.

Dru

Re: Sound card/chip

Okay, going thru the post someone says "do you have a sound card or chip 'cause... blah blah... dos won't work on a chip."

I have a creative "sound blaster 16 Plug and Play (WDM)" so.. according to my sparse knowledge it's a sound CARD right? Oh crap, I got no idea what I'm checking for!!!

ARgh.

I'm such a novice.

Dru

1) We were all novices once-don't sweat it (which is why there's your friendly WC CZ Tech Support forum). Actually, I'm wondering myself what the heck the designation "(WDM)" means--anyone care to enlighten us?... :confused:

2) It sounds like it's probably a sound CARD, but The best way 2B sure is to get under the hood of your PC's case. Once you're looking into the open case, see if there is a card attached to the mobo (motherboard) where your speakers/mic/joystick hook in to the back of the case. If there's no card there, but just a bracket that is cabled directly to the mobo, then you have a sound CHIP.

If you have a chip, and want a bonafide sound card, most mobos with integrated sound/video chips will allow their chips to be disabled thru their BIOS. Just be sure to check this B4 you GET a new sdcard, and then do the disabling trick before you install the soundcard.

Duz this help?... :)

I'm sure it's a sound card!

Me looked and it was a nice big thingy attached to the bigger thing. Well it really wasn't that big. Okay.... let me try and make sense now.

Yes- it's gotta be a sound card attached to the mother board because it isn't want you described at chip to look like.

Now I'm tossing up a huge decission... keep ME and have a duel boot....

or chuck it and piss off the lovely person who got this "upgraded" PC for me.

Hmmmmmmm....

I don't particularly like ME but I like that Movie program that's on here....

Not that I've ever made any movies on it or have any of the apropriate cables...

or have the right card bit for it....

But I'd like to make movies on here....

Oh bloody hell...

Advice?

~Dru

Re: I'm sure it's a sound card!

Me looked and it was a nice big thingy attached to the bigger thing. Well it really wasn't that big. Okay.... let me try and make sense now.

Yes- it's gotta be a sound card attached to the mother board because it isn't want you described at chip to look like.

Now I'm tossing up a huge decission... keep ME and have a duel boot....

or chuck it and piss off the lovely person who got this "upgraded" PC for me.

Hmmmmmmm....

I don't particularly like ME but I like that Movie program that's on here....

Not that I've ever made any movies on it or have any of the apropriate cables...

or have the right card bit for it....

But I'd like to make movies on here....

Oh bloody hell...

Advice?

~Dru

Yo, Dru.

Ok, so you got a card instead of a chip. Now, the decision is whether or not it works with DOS. Go over whatever documentation you have w/ the computer, and/or the CD-Rom (if any) that has the soundcard drivers on it, to see about the DOS question. If you can't find any such info, then you can either

(a) Go ahead w/ your other plans, install Priv, and then hope/pray/cross your fingers/recite magical incantations/etc. to see if the card works with DOS, or else
(b) Go out & get yerself a card that you KNOW works with DOS, and swap the original card out for the new one

As to the Win ME dilemma, it's obviously yer call whether to "switch" or to dual-boot it, but certainly dual-booting sounds like the safest option, as regards yer friends feelings. It ain't nec'lly the CHEAPEST option, though, so be aware of that. Again, the instructions I posted how to do this are contained in my prior posts on this subject, which it sounds like you managed to find. Just go back & bookmark 'em in yer browser, so you can find 'em quick when you need to (or else go back to 'em & print 'em out (even better). Ya git stuck/need any help, I'm right here.

Peace:)

Hey, Dru--Looky what I got4 you: I got a cheaper alternative to a dual boot setup: Rather than "dual" ME with Win 9x, try this:

Dual boot with DR-DOS 7.02! Since Priv 1 & 2 are DOS games anyway, you can just "Dual" with DR-DOS!

Here's the lowdown:

1) DR-DOS 7.02 is available FREE for home use (thus, no pesky licensing, piracy or conscience prob's here...); you can get it by following the links at drdos.org or drdos.com

2) When you install it, it *automatically* detects Win 9x (I can't vouch for WinME, but it seems a reasonable guess...), and automatically installs a boot manager along with itself. When you restart the PC, it'll offer you a choice of booting into DrDos or "standard" operating system.

3) You'll hafta do some reading of the online doc's, since some of the commands/etc. are different from MS-DOS (specifically, you'll hafta manually configure yer startup files for CD-ROM, mouse, and soundcard usage/recognition), though most of 'em are the same.

4) Since it was released in '98, it's less buggy than the "old" DOS's. It even can recognize FAT32 partitions (with a downloadable patch--go to the same places to hunt down the patch).

Anyway, though ya might wanna hear of one more option for ya.

Preacher- I could kiss you!

...if only you weren't a stranger... and a bunch of words on my internet explorer screen ;)

I'm gonna try this program out- where do I get it from? And how big is it?

Ohhh!!! THANKYOU!!!!

Lemme hear you say yeaaaah! Can't wait to get it; I'm positive my sound card works with dos because my last computer had a creative sound blaster thingy and it worked with dos 'cause I got sound in WC3 and all....

~Dru

p.s- ah, what the hell! *MWAH* You legend!!

Preacher- I could kiss you!

...if only you weren't a stranger... and a bunch of words on my internet explorer screen ;)

I'm gonna try this program out- where do I get it from? And how big is it?

Ohhh!!! THANKYOU!!!!

Lemme hear you say yeaaaah! Can't wait to get it; I'm positive my sound card works with dos because my last computer had a creative sound blaster thingy and it worked with dos 'cause I got sound in WC3 and all....

~Dru

p.s- ah, what the hell! *MWAH* You legend!!

1) Well, at least that makes ONE person that wants to kiss me...

2) Aww, shucks... :eek: I'm a married man (at least on paper; in reality my wife is more "married" to another man than she is to me...), but thx for the sentiment, anyway. And I must say, there aren't many "stranger" than me... That said, here's where you can get it:
http://www.drdos.net/download.htm

The latest, most stable version is 7.02 (newer versions are more flaky). It varies from 3-5 diskettes in size, depending on whether you want networking support (which I assume you don't, if yer jus' using it for WC3).

3) YEAAAAH!

4) Yer welcome. I live to serve and to help.

woohoo!

1) I'll head there tomorrow night as I gotta get off the net for now...

2) You suggestin I download to disks eh?

3) Pity you're married!

4) j/k heheheeh :)

~Dru

Re: woohoo!

1) I'll head there tomorrow night as I gotta get off the net for now...

2) You suggestin I download to disks eh?

3) Pity you're married!

4) j/k heheheeh :)

~Dru

2) 's up to you whether to dnld the disk images, or whether to download the single file. Whichever you think would work better 4 you, but I'd guess it'd be easier to do the individual images.

3) TELL me about it... I was just a pup, and was "young & foolish", and I've been paying for it ever since... God forgives us our sins when we confess, but He don't necessarily let us escape the *consequences* of our folly (see, 4 example, King David...). If He did, we'd never *learn*...

heh... while I do sympathize Preacher, and I'm hardly a mod here, I suggest you take your marriage woes to another board. The wrong pair of ears (or eyes in this case) might come upon it and that would be a problem. :)

Originally posted by Saturnyne
heh... while I do sympathize Preacher, and I'm hardly a mod here, I suggest you take your marriage woes to another board. The wrong pair of ears (or eyes in this case) might come upon it and that would be a problem. :)

Yup...

gonna download!!!

1) gettin' ready to download- I should do the latest version yeah? I'll just go re-check these posts to see if you said before...

2) There's the bit where you download on the site and it's 5 disks, but then below it for 3 disks it says in brackets: "(doesn't include PersonalNetware Add-on)" Whaaat...??

3) Hehehehe young and foolish- it always seems to be that way eh?

~Dru
p.s- luv ya quote Preacher :)

Back