WC3 Help

Napoleon

Spaceman
Hello All, I have a problem. I have been attempting to load WC3 onto my computer running Windows ME and all goes well until I am told that my CD-ROM is running at too fast a speed. I finish the Install run the program and the video runs extremely fast for about a second then it freezes, I can skip the video and play the missions easily except that they are without sound, I need help getting this to work, anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like it could be sound card related. Most video problems seem to be. Can you disable your sound card completely for the game and then see if your movies play smoothly (without sound obviously)? If that works, then it may be a matter of tweaking your sound settings to get your movies to play right.

Thanks chris, but that still leaves the fact that it says that the CDROM is too fast, I'll try what you suggested and get back to you

well my WCIII says the same thing but it works fine(Dont ask, it just works).
I did install the game in windows98 from a shortcut were I mark the "prevent the game from detecting window" because I had trouble with the FMV (distorted, too fast), but now it works fine(well expect my joystick, since its a trustmaster topgun).
It says something during the configuration screen about to use a special type of video(not sure if its video) in the botton of the screen.I press the key that it asks.

Does one of the slowdown utilities maybe work ? Perhaps your compu will then run "normal"

The game itself runs fine without a slowdown utility.. I don't think that's the right direction to fix this..

CD Drive Speed?

How fast is your CD Drive? Could that be having an effect? That is, after all, what the message says ;)

I have WC3 running under Windows ME upgraded from 98, with a 5X DVD drive (32X CD, I think?) and it runs fine. PII-266 processor (yeah, I know...old...but until I get money for a new one, 180MB of RAM keeps it humming decently) and a Matrox G200 8MB AGP video. Only problems I've had with it so far is a little bit of trouble with the Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick getting stuck in a turn, which seems to be when the "twist" function doesn't recenter itself. A little jiggling gets it back stationary.

I am running a 12xdvd/i think 48x cd with a Pentium III 1000 and ME with a 32mb Nvidia tnt2 m64 apg graphics card and a SB 64v pci sound card

This really should be in Tech Support...

I got the "Too fast CD-ROM" message too, but it (WC3) ran fine in Win95. I think the message is for SmartDrive users or something like that, cos WC3 really is DOS game, and our relatively fast CD-ROMs give the install prog the impression that SmartDrive is in use.

Also, I had problems with WC4 install, the movie froze, but worked fine once I set sound card to "SB and compatibles"

In the meantime, I'm moving this thread to Tech Support. I've wanted to try that for a while.

Not sure where the problem is, but I seriously doubt that it's related to CD speed, despite what the install program tells you; since movies are streamed at the same rate regardless, it shouldn't matter beyond a certain point, Which leads us back to graphics and sound hardware. Graphics hardware usually isn't the problem, so I suspect sound hardware. Have you tried that suggestion from way at the bottom of the page of disabling sound to see if things run smoothly without it?

Thank you all for giving me ideas, I just got a new comp and am reloading all of my programs onto it, you see when I started this post I had just gotten a new comp but then the Powersupply started to fail and Dell replaced the Machine so i have been a little too busy reloading essential programs before I move on to games.

I meant like non game programs, programs I use for buisness come before games (i cant believe I am saying this but it is true)

Ok well I have begun to load WC3 and can't get the Music/Digital sound card to work, I have a Sound Blaster 64v PCI sound card, which of the options should I choose?

Back