WC3 help. I mean it. HELP.

UCFKevin

Rear Admiral
Okay, so for the past year or two, I've been attempting to get WC3 up and running on my computer. Athlon TBird 1.7, Windows 98, Soundblast Audigy. Before I upgraded, it worked splendidly, no problems at all. When I DID upgrade, it just wouldn't go at all.

I decided today that I would just spend a while trying to figure out why the hell it wouldn't work. It basically came down to the sound configuration, because in the set up, using different settings for the digital sound would either make or break the installation process.

It took me SO long to figure out what the right setting would be, regardless of the settings that the DOS drivers were set at, because apparently that doesn't matter at all in WC3. So anyway, I FINALLY figured out what I needed to set everything at, and for the first time in ages, WC3 ran. It was beautiful. I wept.

And then it crashed.

But it ran, dammit! IT RAN. I don't know why or how, but it ran.

Anyway, when it crashed, it goes to the DOS screen and says the error is more than likely the result of a bad CD read, and to try loading the most recent save game and going from there. Well, would if I could, but since i Haven't played the damn game in ages, I don't HAVE any save games.

SO. Does anyone out there have any save games from WC3, preferably from early on in the game? I don't want to miss much.

Failing that, is there anyone out there who would be willing to make a copy of the first CD of WC3 for me? I know that's a bit much to ask, but I figured I'd try anyway.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.

Originally posted by UCFKevin ...Failing that, is there anyone out there who would be willing to make a copy of the first CD of WC3 for me? I know that's a bit much to ask, but I figured I'd try anyway.
Um, ain't that kinda illegal/unethical/etc.?...

No matter what the problem is, the "Bad CD-ROM read" message seems to be the most common. Exception 13 or something like that.

Yup, that's exactly what is it. Exception 13.

I figured out that it's STILL a sound problem, as I played the game with no soundcard selected for sound and it runs perfectly. So I guess I gotta figure out what the hell is going on.

Anyway, as for getting a copy of CD1, it would be unethical if I didn't have the game to begin with, but since I DO, it would be helpful, but unethical. Maybe not even illegal since I already own it. But that isn't the case, since it works regardless.

Dammit.

Any ideas?

Sorry, no.

I have a similar, but not so severe problem. When I first installed Win98, I had WC3 working with (presumably DirectX) software synthesis for the MIDI music instead of the plain FM modulation by selecting "General MIDI" in the install process. But when I try it now, I get the Exception 13 message even though it has nothing to do with the CD. So I'm back to playing with FM modulation MIDI.

On a second thought, perhaps you should check that the IRQ and DMA values of your soundcard match the ones in the install process.

The sound card settings DO match what my SB emulator is supposed to be at.

The game works for like a minute perfectly, not a single problem, the sound is perfect, and then it completely crashes and I get the Exception 13 message.

This is INCREDIBLY frustrating and infuriating.

I know I had a similar problem before in getting WC3 to work but that was like three years ago and whatever I did worked wonderfully, everything was great, but unfortunately, I have NO idea what that was.

Defragging and reinstalling sounded familiar. I did that this time and nothing changed, sadly.

So, I have NO idea what to do. I want to call Origin/EA but I have a feeling they're just going to say "Wing Commander what? Huh?"

<sigh>

Seriously, if there is ANYONE out there who might be able to help, please help!

new cd

I mighted get kicked.banned for this, but I'm hoping they'll look the other way, if you need a copy of one of the disc's, E-mail me at

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
You cant be banned cause you are a guest....but dont post such things!
:mad:
No need to block an IP when I can just ban Morphine420. Exhibit A

Getting a replacement CD would be perfectly alright, but there's no need for one in this case.

Originally posted by KrisV
No need to block an IP when I can just ban Morphine420. Exhibit A

Getting a replacement CD would be perfectly alright, but there's no need for one in this case.

:X
Well, recently, I had the same problem, and someone did the same for me :)

Morphine, you had the same problem? You can install fine and set up everything fine but it ends up crashing on you a few minutes into the game with Exception 13?

I'm going NUTS trying to figure this out, man, I hate this. I got it to work a few years ago but I had a different sound card. I'm thinking of switching the new one out for the old one for the time being. Desperation leads to desperate measures, I s'pose......

Exception 13 is I think also related to memory. You might want to try to fiddle with the memory settings (namely run witout EMM386 (if WC3 runs without - don't remember anymore). You might also want to try different versions of himem and emm (dos and windows version).

I need to have emm386 running because my Soundblaster 16 emulation needs that to be initialized.

So, I actually got WC3 working but it's in full DOS mode and for some reason, my joystick doesn't calibrate correctly. It's all jumpy, even WITH the alternate calibration routine.

It's all about the soundcard, though, it HAS to be, as I installed the crappy old Aureal card and tried that and it worked. Then I took it out to see if I could figure it out on my Audigy but not dice, and then I tried the Aureal again and hey! Guess what? Yeah, it didn't even work on that.

Man......it seems like it just ain't in the cards for me to play this game. Oh well. Too bad I don't know when I walk away.

I must figure this out dammit.....

Back