WC3: Crash with Barracks-Videos

Deepstar

Rear Admiral
Hi all,

i'm a great Wing Commander Fan and i'm a daily visitor of WCNews for years, now i'm register me in this wonderful Forum, because i have a Problem with WC3 :(

Every Time when i click on Barracks and there should a Video (like after the first Mission, the first "Cobra" Video) then i see a Screenshot from Barracks and the Game freeze, only option is to "search" the (invisible) WC3 Entry in Windows Taskbar to close WC3 or to reset Windows.

I have the Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga.. but i have the same Problem when i use the first CD of my German DOS Version instead of the second KS CD... have this problem so in both Versions. Last time i "mixed" KS Patch with German DOS Version WC3 runs fine without any problems and "Only KS" runs fine, too.

I have no idea why WC3 crash every time.. i have set on "Normal" and "Low" Windows Priority for "WC3W.exe".. all others Videos runs fine only the Videos which play in Barracks crash, but without these Videos it's not a real WC3 for me.

WC4 and WC5 runs fine,too and i haven't probs with WC1 and WC2 (only with graphic bugs in SO1+2 of WC2)

System:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 1
DirectX 9.0c
512 MB-RAM DDR-266
GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128 MB
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold Joystick

Thx 4 help.

Oh and i used the Search Function but don't find a thread where is the same problems.

I'm going to put this over in the tech support forum where someone may be able to help you out. Unfortunately, this doesn't sound like anything I've seen before.

You don't need any service packs for the compatibility modes, but all sorts of profile compatibility options should be tested.

I tried a few compatibility options.. only the change on Windows 95 have a little effect.. but not for my problem.. in Win95 Mode i don't need to change to Normal Priotity manually anymore.. in Win95 Mode it's already on Normal.

But the Barracks Problem still exist, tried Visual Design, 640x480 and different Windows Option.. no success :(

Sorry, but that's a very common prob. - So far no-one has found a general solution. For some it works withe the tricks you tried, for others it doesn't (including me :( )

Does the AMD chip act like an Intel chip (i.e., hyperthreading)? If so, you might try setting the affinity to use both processors.

Sometimes that works for me on some of my old win. 95 games.

Hi,

is there really no solution for the Barracks Crash.
May it be a problem with the newest Patch from Topnalias and the Win2k Fix from NStriker ?

Except the Barracks Crash ( i want to talk to cobra :( ) and having no music in the game, it works fine !

hmm now it works

deleted everything but the *.tre files

then i copied the other files from the 4 CDs

- after that i downloaded the patch from Topnalias and the wc3music.tre from there

i copied alle the files to my folder except the globals.iff

- then i applied the w2k patch from nstriker

now i can talk to cobra !!!! :)

but i have some other problems now:

the game doesn´t find the videosequence after Mission3 (Victory Jumps into another System) and the game crashes if you do not press "esc"

my Joystick gets real weird after a while, can´t really fly (esspecially in Mission3)

sometimes music gets stuck

so on

Christian

P.S: I´ve got the german version of WC3

For some reason the disc isn't reading the file right.

"Critical error on file:..\..\ (or) Read failed on file:..\..\"
Ensure that you are running with the appropriate boot disk for the game. Create one automatically using the Origin 'BOOTDISK' program. If this does not help, check the bottom of the game CD for marks and scratches. If the CD-ROM media has no visible problems, you may need to get a more recent CD-ROM device driver from your hardware manufacturer.

TristanX said:
hmm i run the game from hard disk, so that should not be the problem !

Then you should try copying the disc to the hard drive again, because the movies file might be corrupt! How are you playing off the hard drive? You mentioned they're all copied over, but are they all copied to the same place? You might have overwritten something you needed.

most of the files are the same size and the same date

i used the files from the first cd and didn't overwrite them

maybe i should rip all the files from the *.tre files and put them into the right folders
but i don't know how to adjust the wc3.con then
and i don't know the right folder names

maybe its just a problem with the ksaga patch on wc3 cd version (might there be a difference in the files ?)

Out of the blue: Is it possible that your folder structures are to deep, e.g. you installed it somewhere like this:
C:\My_Documents\MainUser\Programs\Private\Games\Vintage\WingCommanderSeries\The Kilrathisaga\WC3\... ?

If your paths to the files get too long (>256 IIRC), the file system is unable to read them right.

i installed it into d:\games\wc3\ so that shouldn't be the problem

i think there might be a problem with the wc3w.exe which points to the wrong startaddresses, because i'am using the german CD-Version and not the KSaga version.

isn't there anyone who has no problems with WC3 CD-Version on Win2k ?

and does anyone where to put the extracted files exactly, so that the game works with them ?

Back