WC2 installation problem

U

Unregistered

I'm using dosbox 0.65 and have followed all the instructions on WC CIC for problem solving WC2 installation. However, I get something not mentioned and that I cannot find on the forums here. After I click yes for "is the current installation correct" I get a new dialogue box that says "copy from which drive" and below it it says "answer: (c)" and then there is the flashing underscore. The problem is that at this point no matter what key I hit on my keyboard, nothing happens. I've hit the "c" button countless times. No effect. Without doing this I cannot setup the sound and thus can only play the game silently.

I'm using dosbox 0.65 and have followed all the instructions on WC CIC for problem solving WC2 installation. However, I get something not mentioned and that I cannot find on the forums here. After I click yes for "is the current installation correct" I get a new dialogue box that says "copy from which drive" and below it it says "answer: (c)" and then there is the flashing underscore. The problem is that at this point no matter what key I hit on my keyboard, nothing happens. I've hit the "c" button countless times. No effect. Without doing this I cannot setup the sound and thus can only play the game silently.

One solution is to copy the wing2 directory to the harddrive and run the game and installer from that directory. There's another solution that escapes me at the moment but a quick forum search should turn it up.

lucky for you...

I just happened to encounter this issue the other day. I got a copy of Wc2 Deluxe Edition off Ebay (what a find after 15 years). All you gotta do is simply copy all of the files on the disc that you have over to your hard drive into a directory labeled whatever you wish. The easiest is to create a folder called 'wc2' in your C directory. When you open dosbox, mount the directory as C:\wc2, then change directory to c:\. Then you just change directory to wing2, and enter wc2 in order to start the game. Basically, you don't need to install the game using the install program...it will not work no matter what you try. You are just pretty much creating an exact copy of what is on the disc, on your hard drive, then just entering the proper commands to play the game, as if you were playing directly off the disc. Hope all that helps.

Another issue I ran into after getting everything set up properly:

you need to run the game using the following command line:

loadfix -32 wc2

Otherwise, it will freeze during the second mission. Don't know if you always need to do this for all missions from that point on, or not.

Basically, you don't need to install the game using the install program...it will not work no matter what you try.

You still need to run the install file to set up the sound correctly. But like I said, run the one *in* the wing2 folder instead. That should set the settings without trying to copy files and whatnot.

Thank you for your responses, however, you overlooked the fact that I stated I had already done the troubleshooting suggestions given on the WC CIC site. I encounter the error described when attempting to run the install from the hard drive. I just restarted the computer and tried it again but the same problem persists. It asks which drive to copy from and waits for an input from me and I can't type anything into that input. Anyone solved this specific problem in a way that will allow me to have sound?

Thank you for your responses, however, you overlooked the fact that I stated I had already done the troubleshooting suggestions given on the WC CIC site. I encounter the error described when attempting to run the install from the hard drive. I just restarted the computer and tried it again but the same problem persists. It asks which drive to copy from and waits for an input from me and I can't type anything into that input. Anyone solved this specific problem in a way that will allow me to have sound?

once again, look at the directory. Do not run the installer that is found in the root directory of the cd, even after you copy all the contents to the hard drive. You can even copy only the contents of the Wing2 directory on the CD to your harddrive (copy everything into a wc2 or wing2 directory). Once you do that you should be able to run the install, install1, install2, or winstall programs to set your sound settings without it trying to copy files to another directory. So if you copied everythin on the CD to a WC2 directory on your harddrive, there should be a subdirectory in your wc2 directory called "wing2." Go to the "wing2" directory and run the installer (and the game) from there.

*make sure you are running the installer from within the directory*

I posted the second response yesterday nite.

You DO NOT need to run the install program. Just copy all the files onto your hard drive into a folder. Go into dosbox, change directories until you are in the 'wing2' directory, and then type 'wc2'. That's it. If the game freezes during the second mission, then you need to start the game with 'loadfix -32 wc2'.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN THE INSTALL PROGRAM.

Now, I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I am using the CD-ROM of WC2:Deluxe, or not...but everything works fine for me if I just copy everything over to my hard drive, mount the folder that I have transferred all of what is on the CD-ROM to as the 'C' drive, and then switch directories to the 'wing2' directory. I can start WC2, SO1, and SO2 by entering the .exe command associated with each. I also was able to transfer a game from WC1: Secret Missions 2 without any problems, either.

Sweetness, I just found my copy of WC2 Deluxe (bought wayyyy back in the mid/late-90's when I was in elementary school!)

Will it work with my USB joystick? How crappy a computer can I use and still be okay? (running on a PIII 800 with only onboard graphics at the moment).

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN THE INSTALL PROGRAM.

Now, I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I am using the CD-ROM of WC2:Deluxe, or not...but everything works fine for me if I just copy everything over to my hard drive, mount the folder that I have transferred all of what is on the CD-ROM to as the 'C' drive, and then switch directories to the 'wing2' directory. I can start WC2, SO1, and SO2 by entering the .exe command associated with each. I also was able to transfer a game from WC1: Secret Missions 2 without any problems, either.

First of, no you don't need to run the installer... but you may need to if you want the sound to play properly. And like I said, running the installer, if need be, from inside the "wing2" directory should do the trick and it will not prompt you to copy files or freeze up.

That said, you guys should really either register or log in to your accounts so that we can follow the discussion and who's having what problem easier. It gets confusing when 2 or more unregistereds are posting to the same thread. At the very least I believe the form allows you to put in a temporary placeholder name.

Sweetness, I just found my copy of WC2 Deluxe (bought wayyyy back in the mid/late-90's when I was in elementary school!)

Will it work with my USB joystick? How crappy a computer can I use and still be okay? (running on a PIII 800 with only onboard graphics at the moment).

DOSBox works pretty well automatically with most USB joysticks. You need a fairly powerful computer to do the DOS emulation, but a P3 800 should be okay for WC1/2.

One solution is to copy the wing2 directory to the harddrive and run the game and installer from that directory. There's another solution that escapes me at the moment but a quick forum search should turn it up.

The full manual installation technique is to copy the game to the hard drive and then create a file called wc2.cfg in the main directory you've made. Then add the text v a904 c27 to the file. You should be able to play the game with the sound configured for default DOSBox settings or run the installer as if the game were properly installed.

Back