[WC2] Gunsight too dark...

OSH

Rear Admiral
Hm. I have weird question. I've started playing WC2 and I have big problem: I can't see gunsight in my cockpit! Gunsight is dark green and is practically invisible on black space... In WC I hadn't such problem, because gunsight was light green.
And please, don't tell me "Make a bright level in your monitor higher". I want know, is it possible to change color of gunsight into light green?

Hi, please let me know which version of WC2 you're playing (CD Deluxe? DOS? Kilrathi Saga? GoG on DOSBox?)

Also, let me know what operating system you're using, this may just be a compatibility issue with an easy fix.

Hi, -danr-, thanks for quick reply!
I've tested 2 versions: normal Disk Version and CD Deluxe. I'm playing under DOSBOX 0.74 with 3dfx patch from Kekko. My operating system is Windows XP SP 3.

32-bit. And I saw clip from WC2 WCKS first mission on YT. It seems, this is normal color... I can't simply understand, who was so intelligent, to make dark green gunsight!!!

32-bit. And I saw clip from WC2 WCKS first mission on YT. It seems, this is normal color... I can't simply understand, who was so intelligent, to make dark green gunsight!!!
Ships equipped with ITTS will have the crosshair glow brighter when over the lead pipper.

Wow. I was going to say that they were the same shade all along, but you are quite right. The WC2 crosshair really is darker than its WC1 counterpart.

For anyone else surprised by this, see the screenshot below. WC1 is on the left, WC2 is on the right.
WC1-WC2-CrosshairComparison.png

Fortunately, we know enough about the WC2 graphic file format to change this. I have attached a file to this post called "WC2-Bright-Crosshair.zip", which contains a modified version of the COCKPIT.VGA file. See the README.TXT contained in the zip for full installation instructions.

You should find that your crosshairs change from this:
1-BEFORE.PNG

To this:
2-AFTER.PNG

If you have any further graphical problems, please attach screenshots to your post. To take screenshots in DOSBox, press CTRL-F5. This will save a picture in your DOSBox Capture Folder.

I was going to lambaste whoever decided that the WC2 palette should contain colors in light-to-dark order, but then I looked at a screenshot in Deluxe Paint, and remembered that I used to use that ordering too. This mean that they lined up nicely from top to bottom in the Deluxe Paint Palette dialog.
WC2-Palette.png

Attachments

• WC2-Bright-Crosshair.zip
    34.8 KB · Views: 106
What can I say... I'm delighted at your outstanding help and I thank all of you, but especially Dondragmer!

Great work Dondragmer!

I actually never noticed the difference either and always just assumed it was the same shade of green in both the first two games.

Nice. I also didn't notice a difference in the brightness of the reticle (maybe since I played these on CRT monitors), but it's good to have the ability to change it if necessary.

Maybe another question should be: how can we make space black? ;)

Never had a problem with the WC2 reticle and never realized that it was darker than in WC1. But the really amazing thing is the "fix" provided, really cool.

Back