WC2 german subtitle

TheUniversal

Spaceman
Hi Commanders,

my english is not so very well. That`s why I would like to ask you if there is a possibility to implement the german subtitles into the englisch WC1 or 2 version.

I bought the original "Wing Commander II Deluxe Edition", but unfortunately this version is the english one. Can anybody help me?

thanks a lot

regards
Universal

WC2 uses datafiles for the languages, so yes it is possible. All one has to do is to replace certain English files with the same ones from a German release.
Problem is the legal aspects I'd say.

Posting the German files would be fine, if anyone has them. I believe Wing Commander 2 is one of the harder to find games in German.

I have them. Spent quite some time to find a German version myself (done by Midway BTW) only to realize that some disks were broken. And of course their support wasn't helpful anymore.
I then did a filecompare on the working ones to figure out which files are different. Turned out I missed only a handful of vital files which some kind soul on the net provided to me. So I had to do the patch for myself. Now if I only would remember WHERE I put it. Give me some days and I'll mail it to wcnews to upload.

PS: It is/was VERY easy to get WC2 here, but only the English version. For some reason the German one never sold too many copies as it seems.

(edit): Found the package. Its about 500k.
Note that this only turns the basic English WC2 into the German one. It will NOT modify any Speech or work on SO1 or SO2 as no German counterparts exist for them AFAIK.

I think there was no german speech in the original german version of wc2, it remained english. Only german text. If you want to play wc1 in german: They sold many german copies of super wing commander for SNES. Might be easier to get one of those, my wc1 copy for pc is english.

They sold many german copies of super wing commander for SNES. Might be easier to get one of those, my wc1 copy for pc is english.

This is good advice -- the Amiga port of Wing Commander (which has the same controls as the PC one) is also easier to find in German.

(Technical note, though -- Super Wing Commander is a separate 3DO/Macintosh game... an update of WC with better graphics and speech. The SNES version is just plain Wing Commander.)

Sorry, I meant the Plain Nintendo Version. My mistake. I've got Super Wing Commander too. For 3DO. But I never liked the ship designs.

It's never too late. :) How long has it been since you've played through WC2? Most people are past due. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7439 I'm sure there'll be a bunch of English speaking Wing Commander fans who already know the English script by heart who'll give this a try just for something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw... is there a similar patch available for Wing Commander 1 ?

I first played WC1 on the good old Amiga 500 in the german language version.

unfortunately i never found a german pc version of the game later on.
does anybody know if such a german version was even produced?

last year i played around with some files of my ks-wc1 version and tried to translate some texts by myself, but i only managed to translate some briefings and the burial scenes. i always reached a point, when the game began to crash. so i abondened this idea.

but if someone else achieved a german translation of wc1 i would love to get a hand on it :)

AFAIK, a german version of WC1 never existed for the PC, so unless someone bothers to reverse engineer the data files and translates the whole game manually there won't be a patch.

Hello together,
I was also searching for a possibility to translate WC2 into the German version, is there still the Speaking file available? Or if I come too late...
And what would be necessary to translated WC1?

I hope you can help me

Hello,

I know, this thread's one and a half year old, put the topic is not outof date - to me.

Like TheUniversal, I have the same problem: "WC2 Deluxe Edition" with english versions.

Is there a way for me to get the german datafile(s). Can anyone provide them? That would be great!

The file I created should still be available somewhere on the CIC. Seems I am unable to locate it, however.
In any case there is the original home of the file at my homepage in the mods section at http://www.karl.frank.name/mods

Thanks. Your files are working perfectly.

Its very hard to find even traces of a german wc2 version on the net.
I played it first on a 386 SX with 20 MHz in 1993.
It's been so long ago, I was unsure there exists german version.

Thanks! Danke nach Österreich! :D

Back