WC2-era ship images

Hey all! Sorry for the "radio silence" those last two days, people... I was busy jotting down the rules, and I'm definitely making progress there. I think I'll put them online as soon as they're understandable enough. :rolleyes:

I also thought about running a public beta test anytime soon - something along the lines of posting the link to a map where a few interested players can battle it out in a basic dogfight, PBEM-style. Meaning you'd send me your orders via pm, and I'll take care of the rest, i.e. resolving movement and combat and posting an updated map with battle results. Possibly along with an animated replay... I'd need 4-5 players for that - any volunteers? ;)

@MannPower: You're more than welcome if you want to support the project! I could definitely need some portraits of different generic fighter pilots, both Confed and Kilrathi (check out the CIC's WC2 galleries for reference).
And if that's not enough, I'm also in need of missiles, torpedoes, chaff, fuel chits, the likes. So yeah, there's a lot of work still left to do, and I'd gladly appreciate any help! :)

I've been a Wing junkie since '90, so I've had the WC style burned into my head from extended early monitor exposure. I think Wing Commander was the only topic I thought about between then and '97, ~~~.

On a serious note, though, your project hits home because I've also been designing similar battle-style 'boardgames' lately as a kind of hobby, and designing ordinance/sprites, in addition to the portraits, sounds like a lot of fun. Any way we can discuss it live outside of the forums? Do you use AIM or the like?

I also think the WC2 models could use a little jazzing up to reduce some of the 'poly-count jaggies' and give them a more natural feel. I'd like to take them all and give them a once over in Photoshop to smoothen out their appearances and add some effects, to really bring them to life. The original designs don't get enough limelight out of the rest of the series, and your project is a great avenue to give WC1 and 2's style the showcase it deserves.

Any way we can discuss it live outside of the forums? Do you use AIM or the like?
Afraid not - I used ICQ back in the days when I didn't lack the time. ;) The only options left to get in contact with me are forum pms or e-mails...

I also think the WC2 models could use a little jazzing up to reduce some of the 'poly-count jaggies' and give them a more natural feel. I'd like to take them all and give them a once over in Photoshop to smoothen out their appearances and add some effects, to really bring them to life. The original designs don't get enough limelight out of the rest of the series, and your project is a great avenue to give WC1 and 2's style the showcase it deserves.
Well, the models are all Marc's - if he doesn't mind your polishing, I'd say we give it a try. I already compiled a ZIP file with all necessary files. (35 megs of data, all in Photoshop's PSD format.)

Marc?

'Polishing' would basically entail adding some lighting details, some weathering to give them a grittier appearance, and just a little airbrush work over those angles where the poly-count is the most conspicuous (like the Drakhri's curved wings).

Any way you can put the .zip up somewhere for me to grab? If so, just PM me the addy.

Just a suggestion. maybe you could use a set of several fighters (3?) to represent them on map, so one can easily discern between Cap Ships and fighters/bombers.

Just a suggestion. maybe you could use a set of several fighters (3?) to represent them on map, so one can easily discern between Cap Ships and fighters/bombers.
Yeah, I thought along that line some time ago as well. Ultimately, I dropped it, though - wouldn't make sense if you had a squadron depicted for a single fighter or an element. However, this might become interesting again for fleet-level operations.

By the way, the basic rules are almost finished. Need to insert one more paragraph and proof-read the whole thing once again... I think I'll upload them next week, so you can all take a look.

Ah, finally a place where the furballs can grab their Friskies(R)! :D ("You cannot feed the Drakhai...!" Uh, sorry, guess I forgot to take my pills again...)

Nice work, as always!

Right now, I'm stuck with balancing out the costs for all the different types of capships and stations. Maybe I'll release a preliminary version of the rules, including fighter statistics only.

Actually, Kilrathi don't like milk and they hate the stereotype.
Aww, come on, kitty, kitty, don't be a kill-joy! *purr, purr* (Yes, I always liked taunting the enemy in WC. :D )

Anyway, you might be interested in the progress I've made with the game: The basic rules are almost ready for release now (I'll proof-read them once more as soon as I have the time - presumably on Monday). I'm still working on balancing out capships, which is a real pain in the you-know-what. Main problem here: Capships should be more expensive than fighters, but then again, they're not much of a challenge if you have a few torps within reach...

And in other news: I've redesigned the ship stat cards. Take a look at the first version at the start of this thread, and then return here and behold the new, improved version. ;) (Well, yeah, I'm not a graphic artist, but I think for the moment they're at least half-decent.)

Clydesdale%20new.jpg

Drakhri%20new.jpg

Gilgamesh%20new.jpg

Not sure if sizing down the ships won't make them too small. Especially when looking at the Ralatha or the Sabre... I'll give it a shot as soon as I have some spare time left, though! :)

I agree with Marc on this; the text obscures too much of the ship images and detracts from both. If you can find a way to size and move both around so they don't overlap, that would be the best thing, but personally I wouldn't mind too much if the ships are shrunk to about 1/2 of what they are now; so long as the text remains clear.

If you can find a way to size and move both around so they don't overlap, that would be the best thing, but personally I wouldn't mind too much if the ships are shrunk to about 1/2 of what they are now; so long as the text remains clear.
Although it's not obvious in this thread, it's already been done. :) (You'd have to take a look at the "WCTO Game Manual" release thread and follow one of the download links to see the "final" version of the stat cards.)

@Marc: Thanks for the Dorkathi! The 'sport will make some people happy for sure (including me). :D

3D models?

I am looking for a 3D model of the Ferret so that I can fly that baby in X-Plane. Marc, you say you have 3D models for WCII; Are they .blend files?

Back