WC2 Deluxe Install help.ASAP!!!

I got Wing Commander 2 Deluxe but am having major problems installing the game on Windows 98.

I go to the MS-DOS Mode then what do?

Help me ASAP!!

Try running it in DOS. You´ll need expanded memory. Please post your autoexec and config.

I ran it in MS-DOS Mode but don't know what to type.

I have a P166 IBM Thinkpad laptop.Is that what you mean by autoexe and Config? Explain to me what you mean if not.

Your root directory usually contains two important startup files: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. Post the contents of these.

Installation should actually be quite easy. Copy the contents of the CD into a directory, reset their attributes to non Read-Only, then you can run the game in a DOS prompt inside Windows.

I got it to play now.Once I am about to fly a mission or type in my name and Callsign.I get an error that says.

"Sorry, An error has occured.
Please note the following information: 005.
Check your Configuration. If this problem persists,please call Origin Sysytem' service line.We are sorry for the inconvience."

Help me.Config is normal under the C:\ Directory right?

Uh... yeah, that's called the root directory.

I can't recall seeing that error message before, so I don't think I can help you, especially since you already seem to have it working. Perhaps some files are corrupted?

When I enter the level select code.It states expanded memory not detected.Is that a factor?Also when I type that to Cinfig.sys it says "Bad Command name"

Details, we need details.

Level select code? You're using the PLAY-???.COM files?

The game should still run fine (albeit with fewer features) without expanded memory.

What's Cinfig.sys? :p

You can't just type anything into CONFIG.SYS, things need to be set up in a certain way - what are you trying to type into CONFIG.SYS anyway?

Originally posted by Raptor leader
When I enter the level select code.It states expanded memory not detected.Is that a factor?Also when I type that to Cinfig.sys it says "Bad Command name"

That would be the "config.sys". Edit it by adding the following command right under the himem.sys line:

device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 16384 RAM

I'm typing all this in the dos prompt/command line. I hope that's where I'm suppose too.Wedge i'm trying to fix it so I can actually fly a mission.The Dos error told me to check it.

I don't know what I'm missing?

Keep in mind that I'm a newbie to computers and have no idea what-so- ever.

Keep in mind that I'm a newbie to computers and have no idea what-so- ever.
Forgive me, but this is very obvious. ;)

Okay, try this. When you're in Windows, use Notepad or whatever to open C:\CONFIG.SYS and C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT and post the contents here.

You need to edit these files in a text editor, you can't just type commands to the DOS prompt and expect them to work.

Ok I found it.

Autoexec:

C:\>c:\essolo.com

Ess PCI Audio DOS Device Setup Utlility Version 2.IIp Test

<C> ESS Technology,Inc.., 1996 - 1998.All rights.

Solo
DMA Mode is DDMA
Current Solo PCI IRQ:5 PCI I0 Base:FCCO

Current Solo SBPRO GAME SETTINGS:

SB 10=22h IRQ=5 DMA=1
MPU401 10=330h
Game port 10=201h

C:\>

CONFIG.SYS:

dos=high,umb
files=100
lastdrive=z

device=alnet/himeme.sys/testmem:eek:ff
device=alnet/emm386.exe noems
devicehigh=a/net/ifship.sys

I Hope you can help now

Did you type that out manually or cut and paste?

device=alnet/himeme.sys/testmem:eek:ff
device=alnet/emm386.exe noems
What is alnet? Never heard of it. Is that the only place with those files? Anyway, replace with:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM

Autoexec:

C:\>c:\essolo.com

Ess PCI Audio DOS Device Setup Utlility Version 2.IIp Test

<C> ESS Technology,Inc.., 1996 - 1998.All rights.

Solo
DMA Mode is DDMA
Current Solo PCI IRQ:5 PCI I0 Base:FCCO

Current Solo SBPRO GAME SETTINGS:

SB 10=22h IRQ=5 DMA=1
MPU401 10=330h
Game port 10=201h
This looks like screen output, not the contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT :confused:

Privateer 2 Deluxe Installation under Windows XP

EDIT 2 : WAH, I went mad trying to get Priv 2 to run and just noticed this is a WC2 Thread ... which would explain that I didn't find any answers here, please delete this post, as I don't have the right to do so. :/

Where is it located. No need for "at". ;)

Where does it complain about WC2.cfg? IIRC, I think it's in the WING2 base directory.

Back