WC2 Deluxe Edition

PaulVT1

Spaceman
My apologies if this is a frequently asked question, but I rummaged through this board and couldn't find anything that helped me. I have the WCII Deluxe Edition with SO1 and SO2 and the speech pack included. The problem is, I can't get it to run at all. I try and run Winstall, and the program can't detect my expanded memory or my sound card. When I try to run wc2.exe, nothing happens. I've been trying to solve this problem for years, but I'm tired of playing WC on my old computer on the floor. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Windows throws me to DOS when I try to run the program, and that's where I encounter the problems. Could it be a driver issue?

It doesn´t exactly *throw you to DOS*. It just opens a "Dos shell" and simulates DOS. You should try to run the game in the real DOS mode, by pressing F8 during startup (Win95/98) and choosing the first "command prompt" option.

Originally posted by Starkey
It doesn´t exactly *throw you to DOS*. It just opens a "Dos shell" and simulates DOS...
On the contrary; it's quite capable of throwing you to *real* DOS, unfortunately...:(

I'm certainly no expert, but you might need to make sure that you have DOS sound card and CD ROM drivers installed in autoexec.bat and config.sys. You can then make a boot disk and run the game that way, although, as others have said, running under windoze should work. Also, make a shortcut to the WC3.exe on your desktop, right-click it to properties, click program, advanced and uncheck "MS-DOS mode." If that doesn't work, check "Prevent MS-DOS based programs from detecting windows." Good luck.

Originally posted by CoachMark
I'm certainly no expert, but you might need to make sure that you have DOS sound card and CD ROM drivers installed in autoexec.bat and config.sys. You can then make a boot disk and run the game that way, although, as others have said, running under windoze should work. Also, make a shortcut to the WC3.exe on your desktop, right-click it to properties, click program, advanced and uncheck "MS-DOS mode." If that doesn't work, check "Prevent MS-DOS based programs from detecting windows." Good luck.
Yeah; what you said.

I ran it like that in my PC with no problems whatsoever that I recall.

Same game - Slightly different problem

Okay, here's the thing. I have Windows ME. I have WC2 Deluxe with everything and all. I can run the WC2.exe, tossing me into a DOS window. The DOS window says that I don't have "expanded memory," but it goes on anyhow and I can get through the opening animatics. When I get to the screen to enter my name and callsign, I do it and press ENTER. Then it send me back to Windows with the DOS window up saying "Sorry, an error has occurred. Please note the following information: 005. Check your configuration. If the problem persists, please call Origin Systems' service line. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I would call the service line, but something tells me it's no longer in service as, if I recall correctly, Origin is no more.

I have a Dell 8100 series. It's got a Santa Cruz sound card, and Nvidia GeForce graphics card, and a Pentium 4 processor.

Can someone please reply with a step-by-step walkthrough indicating wha I should do beginning with putting the CD in the CD-ROM tray?

Thanks in advance!

WINSTALL.BAT should be used only if you want to play the game from the CD - this was in the days when HD space was scarce.

Try copying everything from the WING2 directory to your HD, make sure all the files are read-only disabled and try executing WC2.EXE. You should be able to play inside a Win9x DOS box without rebooting to pure DOS.

[Edit: As for expanded memory, you'll need to fiddle with EMM386.EXE in the CONFIG.SYS. Probably best to do this on a bootdisk.]

consider adding these lines to your CONFIG.SYS file, if they're not already there:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

DOS=HIGH,UMB

Originally posted by Saturnyne
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
Nay. :p

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

In any case, this is better done on a bootdisk as I think Windows' performance is supposed to suffer with EMS. Although it is possible, I've played WC2 in Windows with EMS before.

Back