WC2 CD (non-KS) crash

Valkyrie386

Spaceman
I'm trying to play WC2 (the CD version with the speechpack from the classics collection) in DosBox. I'm on the second mission, and it keeps crashing after I destroy the last enemy fighter that's attacking the Concordia. Plain 0.61 just crashes to the desktop. Some of the newer CVSs from gulikoza's page hang and then give me a "SDL Lock Failed" error.

Can anyone give me a hand?

Valkyrie386

Let me play the mission you're talking about and see what I can find out...

EDIT: Wait a sec, what options have you got enabled in both WC2 and DOSBox?

EDIT2: Darn, I see what you mean...

I got a crash out to the prompt... which was overlayed on the image of the Concordia. I'm running without sound, so we can at least remove *that* possibility from consideration.

Moonsword said:
Let me play the mission you're talking about and see what I can find out...

EDIT: Wait a sec, what options have you got enabled in both WC2 and DOSBox?

I've attached my dosbox.conf, which is the standard one that comes with gulikoza's build from today (August 12). I'm running with standard options in WC2- speech is on, and I haven't set up anything as non-default.

Thanks,

Valkyrie386

Attachments

• dosbox.conf.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 111
I don't see anything wrong in the configuration of your file, except for one possibility. Let's test that, shall we?

EDIT: And it's now tested.

Add this line to the very bottom of the file:
loadfix

Now, it should work. I didn't say that immediately because I didn't add that line in because of crashes, but to fix sound problems, and didn't realize that it did that, too.

Sorry to make you wait for the answer. I still can't help you very much with the joystick, though, since I don't use a joystick, but searching those forums (or, better yet, posting there) may turn up something.

Moonsword said:
Add this line to the very bottom of the file:
loadfix

Sorry to make you wait for the answer. I still can't help you very much with the joystick, though, since I don't use a joystick, but searching those forums (or, better yet, posting there) may turn up something.

I actually had to add it as "loadfix -32" to only use 32kb. When I just did "loadfix", the game told me I didn't have enough memory.

Thanks very much for the help, and no apology necessary; it's only been a couple of hours since my first post!

Since the loadfix is working, I've gone back to an earlier build, and I'll attack the joystick mapper later.

Valkyrie386

Hmm, mine never had that problem. Due to a difference in our systems, I guess. Glad I could help, though.

You might want to try 'adjusting' some of the settings in your configuration file (core speed and memory size in particular) to see if you can get better performance out of DOSBox. Core speed is also adjustable in game using ctrl-F11 to decrease it or ctrl-F12 to increase it by the amount specified in the config file, if you didn't know.

Good luck, good flying, and may your kills be many and your ejections few.

Back